Monday, October 30, 2023

The Last Warm Days


Hello, friends.  We're enjoying all the homestead blooms for a couple more days.  When I recently made hummus, I noticed our garbanzo beans were getting low.  So, on Monday, I canned 16 pints, to replenish the pantry.  J & I cleaned the stovepipe to our woodstove.  It hadn't been cleaned since last season, and surely needed it.  On our recent walks, the spicy, autumn scent of decaying leaves was in the air.  The sheets have been changed out to flannel ones.  Though there have been light frosts around us, our garden has been spared up until now.  We'll have a little heat wave in the 80's over the weekend, then the temps will arrive at typical Fall ones, with our first frost soon after.  I got through all the hickory nuts that I'd gathered and J had cracked, and ended up with 1/3 cup.  Sadly, not really worth our efforts.



Down to our last pint of lentils, I decided to can up some of those as well.  We still enjoy having lentil sloppy joes regularly, so they're helpful to have on the pantry shelf, for a quick meal.  Laundry was dried on the line.  As always, homemade soap was used in the bathroom shower and sink, and homemade deodorant used.  Veggie scraps that didn't go in the broth bag were composted.  Paper and cardboard were shredded, and added to the compost bin.  In the garden, yellow squash, tomatoes, eggplant, kale and a tromboncino were harvested.  Dandelion greens were gathered for the pups, and a mix of greens for the chickens.  The lettuce bed was weeded and mulched.  Cranberry quinoa salad with kale and walnuts was made with the kale.  It's a favorite.  I washed the pillow and mattress covers, along with the sheets, on a warm breezy day, and hung them on the line.



After an appointment, I checked the grocery store with the great markdown section, but it was slim pickings this month, and nothing I needed.  I did pick up a few things while there, and received cash back for bringing my bags, and the senior discount.  The little "discount barn" behind a favorite thrift store was open for a few more minutes after I arrived, and they were offering a bag to fill up for $1.  I was able to find two bail lid growlers (1 qt ea.), two pint canning jars with rings, three stainless trays (silver lookalikes), and a ziploc of the sweetest little gift bags.  They reminded me of India.  Most feel like silk, and I wonder if they might have been made from sarees (I'd always thought it was sari, but see more spellings of saree).  



In the main thrift store out front, I found a basket and large organizing bin for the skoolie.  I think bins and baskets will be key to keeping organized, and keeping things from shifting while we're travelling.  At the Dollar Tree, I found Q-tips with paper sticks, which I haven't found in several months.  Also, 3-packs of Colgate toothbrushes, 2.5 gallon ziplocs, and packs of unsweetened applesauce, which were bought for the local food pantry.  It's the first time I've found the unsweetened there.  Even though it's not for me, I refuse to purchase the sweetened version, containing high fructose corn syrup.  It makes me angry they add such unhealthy junk to a food that is delicious as is.  On Saturday, we were able to attend a local veterans event, meet several more skoolie owners, and tour their rigs.  One had the most wonderful, green, vintage Magic Chef stove and oven in it.  With the weekend in the 80's, I decided to clean the pups in the outdoor shower one last time, and J turned it off for the season shortly after.  I hope you're able to enjoy whatever the season brings you.


5 comments:

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

It sounds like a busy week! I used to make a similar salad but with apple cider dressing but stopped because I have such a hard time finding dried cranberries without added oil or sugar. I have made my own a few times but tend to forget. And I'm with you on the applesauce. I don't get it.

We had a light frost a couple of weeks ago and switched to flannel sheets then, but then the temps went back up and I switched them back to cotton. Flannels have been back on for the past week and it looks like they are there to stay. We had another light frost last night and anticipate more (possibly even a sprinkling of snow tomorrow!) this week.

That's great that you were able to attend another skoolie event. It sounds like you are meeting quite a few people with similar interests which is always fun. Have a wonderful week!

daisy g said...

I think winter is here! I will put the flannels on soon and change out my pjs as well. It’s the coziest time of the year.

The Skoolie event sounds fun. What a great place to garner ideas for your own adventure. Bins always came in handy in our camper. Things were organized and critters were kept out!

Hope you enjoy the sunshine this week. Bundle up, friend!

Laurie said...

Yea, I expect the cranberries aren't exactly healthy, but someone gave me a large quantity a while back, so I'm using them. I love cozy flannel sheets. It has been nice meeting kindred spirits.

Yes to cozy! That's great to know about bins, in your camping adventures. Definitely bundling up, to meet friends for dinner and music tonight! Stay cozy over there!

Jeannie said...

I am thinking of making hummus from chickpeas and canning it in wide-mouth pint canning jars as a dip for on-the-road lunches. It would sit in the cabinet and then be grabbed for last-minute trips. Have you ever canned hummus? Do you have any ideas?
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

I don't know anything about canning hummus, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of those things they say is unsafe to can at home, due to it's density, similar to pumpkin puree. I'll be interested in what you learn.