Monday, October 2, 2023

Lovely October Days


Hello, friends.  *Please note: trigger warning- the last photo in this post includes a snake.  A cute, little green snake, but a snake nonetheless.  Feel free to skip that portion, if you're so inclined.  Last week, the weather was beautiful, with cooler, mostly sunny days.  It's been just lovely.  I harvested dried lima beans, and shelled them.  I noticed a nice, new to me patch of native muscadines, and harvested what I could reach, along with some from a vine J planted that he was given.  Later in the week,  J helped me pick again.  Lately, I've been gathering hickory nuts.  I tried using the black walnut cracker, but they were too small for it, and they were too hard for the regular, old-fashioned nutcracker.  J got creative.  We put a bunch in his press brake, which worked quite well.  Necessity is the mother of invention!  I'm getting very little "meat" from the nuts, but the flavor is wonderful.




I blended up a pan of GF bread ends, for bread crumbs.  Seven additional kale volunteers were transplanted, and two chard, which had been started from seed.  I made GF pizza crust, and pizza with our pepper, garlic, onion, and oregano, and homegrown sauce.  Another night, I made pasta sauce with tomatoes, garlic, onion, basil and oregano.  Laundry was dried on the line.  Another dinner, we had curry with our eggplant and sweet potato.  The first red pepper was harvested, which was used on the above mentioned pizza.  The summer garden is slowing down, and the mixed greens, carrots and beets are sprouting forth.  Cabbage, kale, chard and broccoli are growing happily.  




As part of my fall chores, I washed all windows and storm doors.  Every time I do it, it's a surprise how wonderful the views are, and the change in the light that comes in.  J helped by removing and washing all the screens, and putting them back.  I sent pawpaws with my BIL, when he was here, which my sister wanted for smoothies.  A neighbor came by for some another day, and while she was here, another neighbor and his wife brought by a bag of large muscadines.  I need to figure out what to do with all the muscadines.  We have plenty of jam on the shelves, and rarely use it, and home canned grape juice as well.  We're not really fans of sweet wine.  I may make a pie with some, and possibly try drying some.  We're also enjoying them fresh.  



All the floors were vacuumed and mopped, in anticipation of bringing in the house plants this week.  Nights will begin dropping into the mid 40's, and my plan is to always get them in before it drops below 50.  Two of the dog beds were washed, and dried on the line.  I checked out the clearance section of a Lowe's, while I was in that town, and found organic maple syrup for $4.50.  At Harris Teeter, I received the senior 5% discount for my purchases.  There have been lots of frogs, anole lizards, and this snake keeping me company while I worked in the garden.  I think the hummingbirds may have departed.  I saw them last Sunday, then saw and heard them in the garden a few more days, but I think they may truly be gone until the next season.  We're enjoying these beautiful, Fall days while they last.  Have a lovely week!



10 comments:

daisy g said...

I do need to make myself some pizza! I have been thinking about it lately. What type of gf crust do you use?

I've heard the hummers are on their way south, but we've still had some visitors this week, so hopefully, they will be able to enjoy the rest of the sugar water. Guess I better get to makin' the suet soon!

Enjoy these crispy fall days!

Laurie said...

This is the pizza crust recipe:
https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-vegan-gluten-free-pizza-crust/
It's by far the favorite one I've tried. I hope your week is an enjoyable one!

Andrea said...

Hi Laurie! That is a neat snake! Very green! I know snakes do good for gardens, but I really don't like to see them. We have tiny ring-necked snakes mostly (around my house).
I think the hummingbirds have left too! I haven't seen any for a week. I read that maybe you can see some migrating. I want to clean my outdoor windows this week. I buy the Windex that hooks on a garden hose and spray them. I used to use a ladder and do them by hand. I clean them a few times a year. Enjoy the nice weather! andrea

Laurie said...

We have the ring necked snakes here too! I hadn't heard of Windex that goes on a hose. So, there's no wiping or squeegeeing that way? I really like the system I use now. It's so much easier than paper towels and Windex. Also much cheaper, as the only bought item (once I bought the set up) is a few drops of dish soap, and I only have to use a ladder on two windows, instead of all of them. A telescoping pole allows me to stay on the ground for almost all of them. Best of luck with your window cleaning. It makes such a difference!

Andrea said...

Hi again! No, it's a concentrated windex outdoor spray. You connect your hose to it. It has 3 settings, off, rinse, and clean. I spray it right through my screens even. My screen are clean with no effort along with the window. They are sparkly clean. My local Lowes has it for $13 (32 oz, which cleans my 32 windows on the outside, only taking about a half hour to connect my house in different locations, spray and rinse). andrea

Laurie said...

That's interesting. Thank you. I may have to look into it down the road.

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Happy to hear you've had some cooler temps. Isn't it wonderful? It's warm this week but the nights are cool so that's perfect in my book. I haven't seen hummingbirds in our backyard for a while now. So sad when they go. I was pulling non-productive tomato plants a few weeks ago and had one buzzing all around me. Too funny. I'm not a fan of snakes accompanying me in the garden, but your little green guy is pretty cute. Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

Laurie said...

That hummingbird knew when they were near something sweet! I'd rather not come upon a snake on the ground, but that little one was on the cucumber trellis, about eye level. These cooler temps have been wonderful. The low for this weekend keeps dropping, 40 at last look. At this rate, we may frost. I'd love more time for the little tomatoes to grow, but it will be what it will.

Jeannie said...

We have one small hummingbird left and he is guarding the feeder like he is a mighty warrior.

It has been blistering hot here in the upper 80s for a few weeks and still no rain. Today is the first time it has felt pleasant outside. Two nights from now, the temperature is supposed to plunge to 37 degrees for two nights. I am rushing around in the garden trying to get everything harvested. Last night we dug the sweet potatoes and it was a fantastic harvest. Tonight we will pull up the bush beans. Tomorrow will be the peppers and squash. Then Saturday night at the last second I will bring in the ripening tomatoes. I agree with you and wish for a little more time for the tomatoes.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

We're getting really dry here too. As of this morning, our lowest temp should be 40 this weekend. That's wonderful you had a fantastic sweet potato harvest! They're such good keepers.