Monday, November 6, 2023

Evening Walk & A Simple Gift



Hello, friends, and happy November!  Last week, I switched the warm and cold weather clothes in my closet, and added four things to the donation box.  We were expecting a killing frost on Wednesday.  On Monday, I picked all the cold sensitive vegetables... tomatoes, squash, peppers and eggplant.   Also, a cucumber, chard, two winter squash and small amount of basil.  The purslane returned, so I harvested a good bit, combined it with the basil, and made pesto.  J & I harvested all the lima beans.  He shelled all the dry beans.  While he was out of town one night, I shelled all the green ones, while watching a movie on our Roku TV.  I did manage to cut a little bouquet on Tuesday, and harvested a bag of sweet potato leaves for smoothies, to stretch the store bought spinach.  The lettuce was covered, before the cold temps.  The sweet potatoes that had been curing were brought inside.  



No matter how many times I've seen the gorgeous designs inside squash, they never fail to delight me.  They really are a work of art.  One recent dinner from the homestead was sweet potatoes, sauteed chard with garlic, and a new eggplant dish.  Neither of us was a fan of the eggplant recipe, so it wasn't kept.  After discussing the potatoes in grow bags, knowing we'd have little to no harvest if we dug them now, we decided to act as if they were fall planted, and see if  there might be a harvest in spring.  Taking advantage of the woodstove heat, I pulled three gallon bags from the freezer of veggie scraps, simmered them, and canned broth the next day.  Though it's only been a few minutes here and there, I've worked on a cross stitch project I started early in the year.  A pot of tiny sweet potatoes was boiled, partially on the woodstove, for the chickens and pups.




For a simple gift for some littles in my family, I made play dough, using this recipe (scroll to the end).  If you haven't seen Annabel's blog before, it's one of my favorites, with excellent, encouraging information shared, both in her posts and within the community's comments.  A recent soup used home canned garbanzo beans and broth, and our onions.  All laundry was dried on the line.  Pans of seeds that had been drying... rudbeckia, calendula, tansy, bachelor buttons & mullein, were placed in envelopes.  I continue making chicken mash, using whatever I can come up with.  Last week, I boiled up some pastina that was in the pantry for them.  In addition to chopped banana peels and sweet potatoes, I chopped some pickled peppers that weren't being eaten, and some days, a fig or two, or small tomato.  They still come running, whenever I bring it out.  Many wishes for a lovely week, friends. 



6 comments:

daisy g said...

The weather certainly took a turn for a couple of days, didn’t it? It has been a lovely autumn so far, even with the cold snap.

What a great idea for a child’s gift! Hours of fun!

Glad you were able to get one last harvest in.

Enjoy this gift of a day!

Laurie said...

Indeed, it has been a lovely autumn. Yes, isn't it a gift to wake up each morning, and see what the day holds? Wishing you a cozy week, friend!

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

What a wonderful harvest before the frost. Our chickens absolutely love pasta. They get excited and eat just about anything, but carbs seem to be their love language. I, too, enjoy Annabel's blog - such great information there. The playdough colors are beautiful. Hoping you have a nice potato harvest from your grow bags in spring!
Have a wonderful week!

Laurie said...

It seemed so many things began coming in late this year, and it did end up being a decent harvest. I bet our chickens would love pasta too, but we haven't shared :o). They do love bread, on the rare occasion they get it. As many potatoes as we eat, it would be lovely if we got some to harvest in the spring. Thank you!

daisy g said...

Oh, and I meant to say how amazing that squash pattern is! I probably never would have noticed it, but now I'll pay more attention. Gorgeous!

Laurie said...

Isn't it?! I can't remember if tromboncino are especially prone to this pattern. I'm almost positive I've had yellow squash the same.