Monday, October 23, 2023

Fall Days & A Little Getaway

 


Hello, friends.  Last week, I harvested eggplant, yellow squash, cucumber, tomato, basil, oregano, and rosemary from the garden, & gathered eggs.  Extra oregano was dried.  I weeded spots of the carrot bed several days, and just about have it done.  Several trays of celery were dehydrated.  Three sticky shelves in the refrigerator were cleaned.  Sometimes it's obvious, but often, it perplexes me how they get so sticky. Laundry was dried on the line.  I redeemed Swagbucks points for a $25 GC.  This card was on sale for $22 and had a $3 credit, so only  $19 worth of points were used.



Pasta sauce was made with our onion, garlic, tromboncino, basil, rosemary and canned tomatoes, with the addition of store bought mushrooms.  I mended the corner elastic on our mattress pad.  One of the unripe melons was cut up for the chickens.  At the grocery store, I was able to get two brussels sprouts for $2.29/#, and one dogfood on sale for $6 off.  Books were picked up at the library, while in town.  I haven't mentioned our potatoes in grow bags experiment lately.  Though all but a handful appeared dead in the height of summer, and none have done well enough to flower yet, there are now half of the grow bags with happy looking potatoes in them.  Probably too late to get any before the first frost, but it makes us wonder if it was just too hot for them in the black grow bags, in that location, or both.



On Thursday, J & I headed to VA overnight, for a skoolie gathering.  I brought water, and hummus, veggies and chips for lunch, and booked an airbnb with full kitchen, so I could bring produce and do my usual morning routine of lemon water, celery juice and smoothie.  I found a restaurant with sides I could eat, which was inexpensive, and we had dinner out.  We met some really nice people, and toured several buses.  Though it was raining and cool, it was an inspiring trip. It appears one of the best things about travelling in a skoolie will be the people we meet along the way.   Shredded leaves were placed in the pond garden months ago.  J mowed them, and tilled them in, before planting the garlic.  We couldn't get our usual variety, Music, so are trying a new one, California Early White, which is supposed to be a good keeper.  Sunday evening, I headed to the pond with the pups, and just enjoyed the beautiful day.  I hope you're enjoying these days too.


6 comments:

daisy g said...

I’m not surprised to hear you say that. Campers are usually very down to earth souls. Glad you were able to get away.

I’ve grown the California garlic before and had a nice crop.

Enjoy this beautiful weather! It was 35 here this morning. Yikes!
daisy

Laurie said...

J said he saw some patchy frost on the way to the gym this morning, and we may have some tonight. Sure hoping we can get some more days for tomatoes to ripen and potatoes to grow.

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

That's wonderful that you enjoyed the skoolie gathering. I wasn't able to get that variety of garlic this year either and am growing a couple others. One I've had before, and one is new to me.

Oddly enough, we haven't had a frost yet but possibly tonight! Some of our veggie farmer friends are shocked at what they continue to harvest and bring to the farmers markets because the first frost hasn't arrived yet. It's nice to enjoy the cold sensitive veg a little longer this year.

Have a wonderful week!

Laurie said...

I think we likely got our first frost last night too. I couldn't tell anything, when I went to let the chickens out, but we'll know better when the sun's up. Our outdoor thermometer says it's 32. Guess I'll be harvesting and cooking those cold sensitive veggies today. It was nice while it lasted! Here's to a good 2024 garlic harvest for us both.

Jeannie said...

Thanks for sharing about the potatoes in the grow bags. It is an idea I am still considering. Yesterday evening a tree trimmer stopped by the house to give us a quote to remove a rotten tree leaning over the driveway- $ 1,200 just to fell it and open up the driveway. I know that is a good price but it is still a large amount of money to us. We decided to wait and see if it will fall in a way that Bill could handle. While he was here, I asked for a quote to cut back the massive trees hanging over my garden. He just shook his head.

I guess the shade will continue to overtake my garden and grow bags might be in my future.

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

We're newbies to the grow bags, and just not sure what exactly went wrong with the potatoes. We had talked about seeing if there were any potatoes, but with neither of us having seen blooms, we decided to just act like they were fall planted potatoes, and see what happens in the spring. They may not make it, but there's little to lose.

It can be a challenge, living in the woods. We've got to take several trees down that are blocking a good amount of morning sun from our solar panels. Thankfully, a local sawyer will take down all the pines. I'm not sure how many that leaves for Joseph to take down.