Monday, January 1, 2024

Welcoming In The New Year



Hello, friends.  I hope the recent days have been ones of peace, hope and good cheer for you.  On Christmas night, J & I began a jigsaw puzzle.  I become somewhat preoccupied with them, and finished it Friday, before he had the desire to work on it again.  The puzzle was one friends had shared with us.  During the week, I made suet for the birds, and golden paste for the pups.  Sweet potatoes for the animals were cooked on the woodstove several times.  There were a few decent sales at the grocery store, with raw honey $1.80 off, organic potatoes $1.10 off/3#, and pomegranates .79 off.  I went by Tractor Supply for birdseed, which is back to $19.99/40#.  I stopped buying it months ago, when it was around $28 per bag.  I saw an interesting idea on placing bird feeders around the orchard, to encourage the birds to find all the insects, like codling moths, who live under the bark, while stashing seeds.  It was said they travel in about a 50 ft. radius from the feeder, so I'll move it to different areas every few weeks.  It'd be great if it helps us to get healthier fruit in 2024.



I finally finished the cross stitch piece, a pattern bought for a friend at the beginning of the war in Ukraine.  Our baked sweet potatoes, crowder peas, and chard (supplemented with store bought) were made for a dinner.  Black bean burgers I'd previously frozen and home fries were made for another.  My Mom's lentil soup was dinner another night.  It's been getting harder to come up with dinners we'll be happy with.  Joseph, especially, tires of seasonal offerings fairly quickly.  It's easier during warmer weather, when there are more than greens coming in from the garden.  


Guinness napping in the winter's light


With the house still in good order after the holiday festivities, it seemed the perfect time to have friends for dinner.  I had a hard time deciding what to cook, and ended up keeping it very simple, with roasted brussels sprouts, home fries, butter beans and corn on the cob.  Some of the baked sweet potatoes were made into a pie.  On Sunday, I made a double batch of GF pizza crusts, enough for four personal pizzas, parbaked them, and enjoyed one for dinner.  May the coming year be one of increased light, ease and grace for us all.  Happy New Year!


7 comments:

daisy g said...

I do jigsaw puzzles too, during summer's blazing heat and winter's doldrums. I like the vintage look of the one you just finished.

What type of flour did you use for your pizza crusts?

Sending you love and light on the first day of this spankin' brand new year!

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

That's interesting about the birds. It seems like it makes sense. Variety during winter is tough, isn't it? Do you ever can or freeze your greens? I know it wouldn't be eating them fresh, but just curious. I've frozen mine but never canned. I'm back to growing sprouts for fresh salads - it's just a matter of remembering to rinse them a couple times a day....

Happy New Year to you both and your families!

Laurie said...

That was a fun puzzle! For the pizza crusts, I use almond flour. They also have potato starch, arrowroot and flax meal in them. It's a Minimalist Baker recipe, my favorite so far.

I have frozen collards, by just putting the whole leaves in a paper grocery bag, and kale, chopped and put in muffin tins. I used more of the collards, which were good, but my favorite way to eat kale is in various salads, rather than cooked. I haven't tried canning any. Funny, you should mention sprouts. I just said yesterday I needed to get some going again.

April said...

May 2024 bring you and yours comfort and light. And getting the skoolie road-ready in the coming year!!

Laurie said...

I couldn't think of better wishes! Thank you.

Andrea said...

Puzzles are such a good idea in the winter. I would love to get rid of moths...I see some trying to sneak into our house! I hope the new year improves for the world, although it seems a bit uncertain. andrea

Laurie said...

Puzzles are one of our favorite ways to spend a snowy day. We don't often get them, but this winter is looking hopeful. I have hopes we are creating a better world, though there will likely be some bumps along the way.