Monday, January 15, 2024

A Little Canning & Eating From The Freezer



Hello, friends.  I hope you've been doing well.  Last week, I strained all the jars of glycerite that were started last year... mullein, lemon balm, nettles, hawthorne and reishi.  I've already begun using the mullein.  A sweater was mended.  The freezer had started filling up with veggie scraps, so pots were simmered on the stove, and another round of broth was canned.  I watched a short video, comparing the Great Depression and now, which was pretty surprising.  Christmas was taken down.  Last year, I enjoyed leaving up the tree through a good portion of January, with the winter and nature themed ornaments.... bird houses and nests, acorns, pinecones, mushrooms and the like, but the tree dried out badly this year, so it needed to come down.  I'm sure the difference was getting the tree at the grocery store, rather than from a nursery, where they're kept in water, but for the savings, we couldn't pass it up.  I'm working on eating down the freezers.  I pulled vegan mac & cheese for a lunch, and bags of grated tromboncino squash.  One was used in a zucchini dish, with homemade broth, homegrown onions, garlic, oregano and thyme, and the others from '20 are being added to the chicken's mash.  I made tomato rice loaf, using home canned tomatoes, homegrown garlic, onions, and added sweet potatoes to the oven, while it was baking.  As all the store bought canned pinto beans were gone, I canned up a batch of 15 pints, 3 quarts.  Pasta sauce was made with our canned tomatoes, onion, garlic and frozen basil cubes.  Laundry was dried on the line, and two wool items were hand washed.  



A couple of weeks ago, I noticed three more of the game birds were missing, both young hens and a rooster.  There were signs of them close to the chicken yard on the outside, so we expect that either a hawk or owl got them.  Now, all that's left of the game birds are mama hen and papa rooster, and two of the young roosters.  J has had to buy eggs a couple of times recently.  Over the weekend, mama hen started laying again, not in a nest box, but on the floor in that room, which is better than the odd spots she usually finds.  Hopefully, we've lessened the other options.  We've gotten good rain, and are so thankful for that.  Soapmaking oils were melted on the woodstove.  A pot of rice and another of sweet potatoes were brought to a boil on the stove, and finished cooking on the woodstove.  Vegetable soup was made, which included our broth, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, garlic, summer squash, a bag of crowder peas pulled from the freezer, and a handful of our dehydrated soup mix, including carrot tops, mushrooms, and sweet potato leaves.  At the library, I picked up four books, including Strega Nona, a Caldecott Honor book.  I caught up with the latest Call The Midwife series the library has, which is Season 11.  I greatly enjoy this show, perhaps because of my Catholic upbringing and years in the nursing field.  Though it has it's moments of drama, it seems to mostly highlight the best of humanity, sorely needed in these times.  Take good care of yourselves, everyone, and for those in the US, wishing you warmth and safety.


10 comments:

daisy g said...

Another mighty productive week! I need to do a better job of both growing herbs and keeping scraps for veggie broth. I usually give them to the worms or compost them, but I love the idea of always having homemade broth around.

Sorry to hear about your hens. I hope you find a solution to them disappearing. We have cattle panel arches and a Sail Shade up in the chicken run to deter overhead predators. So far, so good!

I'm looking for another good series to watch right now, as I've finished watching all of the episodes of "Homestead Rescue". I'll see if I can find the series you mentioned from the beginning. (I like watching things in order.) Are you watching the new season of "All Creatures Great and Small"? We are so happy that it is back. What a masterpiece.

Sending you warm wishes for a wonderful week! Bundle up, girl! ;0D

Laurie said...

Our brush "teepee" in the chicken yard has worked great to protect them from overhead predators. It's just the ones who decide to fly out of the yard who get eaten. Those game birds were terrible to do that. Our older flock doesn't even try. We let it go too long between trimming the game birds feathers.

Oooh, I haven't heard of Homestead Rescue. I'll see if I can find it. I'll have to give All Creatures Great & Small another try too. Thank you! Brrrr!

April said...

We too are eating out of the freezer this month (this winter) and it is stunning (as in "Oh, I forgot about that too") what is in there. Here in central Ohio, we somehow escaped the snow and most of the horrific winds, but the temps have not gotten out of the single digits for 2 days now. That is a brrrrr no matter what thermometer you use! That has kept me from my daily walks and shortened any outings for the time being.

Laurie said...

It's so easy to lose things in the freezer, isn't it? Single digits... yikes! I have walked in the teens before, but believe I'd be staying home in those temps too. Good time for lots of hot tea and warming foods. Take good care of yourself.

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Sorry to read about the game birds. That's too bad. We have one smaller hen who is our escape artist when we keep them in their fenced in areas. She's the only one we have to clip wings on. All the others follow the rules (well, at least the staying in rule).

Happy to hear you've received rain. A blessing indeed. Sounds like a productive week!

Laurie said...

It's the smaller ones who always seem to have the most personality, isn't it? Your "following the rules" comment made me smile. Take good care of yourself!

Jeannie said...

The video about the Depression hit a chord with me. It is shows the struggle the younger generations are facing. I have found my older friends (with paid for cars, houses, retirement accounts) have no idea what they are experiencing. My oldest son is suddenly losing his roommate (to marriage) and now my son is looking at getting an apartment by himself in Nashville. It will cost him over half of his salary just for the rent and that doesn't include electricity, internet, food or anything else. He is worried and so am I.

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

It's a struggle for many, but it must be daunting for young people. I've heard that area is very expensive. I wonder if there's a way to think outside the box... tiny home, skoolie, etc.?

Jeannie said...

Thank you for the ideas. We are searching for solutions. The problem is that he works from home and must have high speed internet so he can encrypt while talking on the internet phone. (I don't understand the details) The places where that is available is limited. We welcomed him back home but getting that service way out here has been questionable. A tiny home is exactly what he needs. He has searched for one but has only found a rented bedroom in a trailer park.

The dollar is crashing, our economy is failing, we are being invaded by an illegal army, something is about to break.

Jeannie

Laurie said...

I'm also concerned about these things, Jeannie. I didn't realize the extent of it, until listening to this yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOxksFHAHRU