Monday, January 8, 2024

Big Sweet Potatoes & Homemade Taco Seasoning


flowers from my honey

Hello, friends.  I've just added another homemade seasoning to our pantry.  I'm not sure why I haven't been making it all along, but finding out the ingredients in the organic seasoning I was using sent me researching.  I learned  taco seasoning can have corn flour or corn starch, and citric acid in it, none of which I can have.  The container I had purchased doesn't have the ingredients listed, and somehow, I had expected it to be a blend of organic spices with no extra ingredients.  I need to remember there are all sorts of sneaky ways that lesser quality ingredients are added to our food.  Making the blend is easy enough (recipe linked above), and I'm sure cheaper.  It's another small step towards being more self-sufficient, and another step towards cleaner eating, and fully healing my eczema.  


therapy neck pillow headed to the shop


A few mushrooms needed using, so I chopped and added them to a sloppy joe dinner.  Leftover cubes of sweet potatoes were the side.  Another night, I opened our first jar of canned spaghetti squash.  Into this dish went frozen pucks of kale, fresh rosemary, cashew parmesan, and dried tomatoes.  For another dinner, we had colcannon with our cabbage, and a meal's worth of our green beans I had frozen last summer.  They were pretty tough, so I won't be doing that again.  Seeing gas had dropped to $2.79/gal., while I was in town, I filled up.  I picked up a few things at Big Lots, including 50% off ribbons for a winter mailbox bow, and was given a $10 coupon off any purchase.  The mailbox bow was made over the weekend.



April had asked for a photo of the "football" sweet potatoes, which I'm still using up from the '22 garden.  Here is a majority, though not all of them.  The one front and center is 10" long.  They'd never be sold in a store, with their insect holes and irregularities, and are a bit of a bear to prep because of that, but are good eating just the same.  We continue to eat them once or twice a week, and a pot of cubed ones are cooked on the woodstove for the critters a a couple of times a week.  All laundry was dried on the line.  I recently watched a documentary, which gave me some things to think about.  I was reminded how very blessed I am to live in this country.  May your week be blessed.



11 comments:

daisy g said...

It's amazing to me that simply eliminating gluten from my diet has made a tremendous difference in my skin. I hadn't realized that a gluten sensitivity could show up at any time, and being a bread lover all of my life, it's a tough one to deal with. I so miss English muffins, challah and semolina pasta. But I know what will happen if I indulge, and it's not worth it. Hoping your eczema is kept under control.

Those sweet taters look fabulous! Will you save some to begin starts next month?

Have a productive week, friend!

Laurie said...

Oh, I miss all sorts of baked goodies too! My hands have been pretty itchy for many weeks now, both from an experiment to see if I could get by eating some "no" foods at a restaurant(a couple of pickles... vinegar, and fries that had been cooked in oil also used for gluten containing foods), and from inadvertently eating a meal of wheat pasta J prepared by mistake. I still have hopes of someday being able to expand what I can eat, but I'm obviously not there yet.

Most years J does a combination of starting our own sweet potato slips, and purchasing some, so that will likely happen this year too. I have nothing planned to take me away from home this week, so I've got high hopes for a productive week. I hope yours is too!

April said...

Laurie: I read your blog just now and burst into laughter at your sweet potatoes! Thank you for making my day start on such a great note. I have a photo of my grandson cleaning some sweet potatoes that look to be the size of his head (and he is almost 5), so I can just imagine Orlando being thrilled with yours!

Laurie said...

I'm glad it gave you a smile!

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Laurie - maybe you've said before, but how do you store your sweet potatoes? I can't imagine having the luck of them lasting that long. We have a coolish basement (stone walls and dirt floor) and run a dehumidifier, but I still try to use stuff up fairly quickly. And to try and cut those up....oh my, I bet that's interesting!

That's great that you found a taco seasoning recipe you like. I hope you can get to a point where reintroduction of standard flours and other things you like is possible.

Wishing you a joy-filled week!

Laurie said...

We store them in the basement, all concrete, with a dehumidifier. They do tend to sprout, but are still edible. It won't hurt my feelings when we can start on the '23 potatoes!

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Laurie - thank you, that's good to know. I won't be so much in a hurry to get ours used up next time. I'm looking forward to seeing how long they might last. You must've had quite a harvest in '22!

Laurie said...

I just read of storing them in a box with hay, and wonder if they wouldn't sprout so readily that way? Might be worth trying.

Jeannie said...

I store my sweet potatoes in my bedroom closet. Sounds crazy but they will easily last until spring there. They rot in the basement or garage because I think it is too cold for them there. My bedroom seems to be perfect, of course, it took some cleaning to find enough room.

Do you know what causes the insect holes on the potatoes? Some of mine were quite buggy this year. They seem to be getting worse every year.

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

Before we had a basement, I stored them under the bed. You do what you got to do! We know that wire worms and fire ants eat ours. Do you have fire ants there? Yep, ours have gotten worse too. I think we're going to try them in the pond garden this year, though the deer nibble the plants there. It's always something!

Jeannie said...

Fire ants I definitely have. Wire worms I haven't noticed. I try rotating but my sunny garden area is quite limited. It is ALWAYS SOMETHING!

Jeannie