Monday, December 25, 2023

Merry Christmas 2023!



Hello friends, and Merry Christmas!  Last week, before a low in the teens, I harvested kale, collards, lettuce and a small amount of broccoli.  The broccoli was blanched and frozen.  We had collards and rice for one dinner, cranberry quinoa kale salad and cubes of fried sweet potatoes for another, and a few salads.  All but the door shelves in the refrigerator were cleaned.  It's so nice to open now, I sure wish it would stay like this for a while.   Three varieties of GF cookies were baked from ingredients in the pantry.   I redeemed Swagbucks points for a $25 gift card.  Brandy's taco soup was made, on Friday night.  Such a quick, easy dinner, after a very long day preparing.




In our ongoing chicken saga, I realized two of the three young game hens are gone.  Though we'd clipped their wings once already, they started flying out of their yard again.  We assume a hawk got them.  The two that are gone were our best layers at the moment.  Of course, all the roosters are perfectly fine.  Sigh.  I cut greenery from our land, and combined it with pinecones and trimmings of our Frazier fir to decorate the tables for our gathering.  Besides offering the cookies at our Christmas gathering,  I've also gifted them to our postal carrier, my massage therapist and a delivery driver.  I mixed up a batch of celery salt for gifts, using the celery I had dehydrated.  I picked up their last three small poinsettia's at Lowes, marked down to $1.49, for the tables for our gathering. 


Siblings

Guinness went to the vet, to have a place on his foot looked at.  Turns out it's nothing scary; just caused by him licking the same spot, but the vet thought he could put on a few lbs.  Each day, I've been dividing a half pint jar of home canned meat and broth between he and McNibs, in addition to their kibble and sweet potatoes.  With McNibs being so skinny after his adventure, I bought him a coat.  The first one didn't fit, and when I dropped it off at Staples for the return, I received a coupon for 15% off an in store purchase.  It's only good until the end of the year, and I may use it if I'll already be in town.  The second coat fits him perfectly.  On Christmas Eve, I baked a batch of dog treats, to put in their stockings.  Of course, they had to taste test some beforehand.  Thankfully, they passed with flying colors.  Happy Holidays to you and yours!


10 comments:

daisy g said...

Sounds like a wonderful holiday season all around!
How lovely that you had time to spend with your siblings.

Your pups are truly pampered with all that homemade food!

Hope you are enjoying some rain this evening.

Andrea said...

Merry Christmas! sorry about your hens! I love your Christmas tree. andrea

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Laurie said...

I'm so thankful to spend time with my siblings and their families. Homemade food all around on the homestead, between the chicken mash, us and the pups! I tried giving some of the meat and broth to our farm cat, but she likes her kibble the best, along with seafood treats daily.

Thank you, Andrea and Rajani.

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

What a wonderful photo of you and your brother and sister! That's great that you were able to all get together. Sorry about your hens. That's awful.
Hoping you had a very merry Christmas!

Laurie said...

It's always something with chickens!

April said...

You could have a whole blog just about your chicken adventures, Laurie. When I read the line about losing your best layers but the roosters being fine, I immediately thought, "Well, of course they are." Those roosters!

May 2024 treat you and yours with comfort and light...and eggs!

April

Laurie said...

We just bought a few groceries, including our first eggs in many months. Without those two hens, we're getting about three eggs a week. Those roosters is right! They're the ones who taught those hens to fly out of their yard.

Jeannie said...

Oh Laurie, what a month you have had. I'm glad I waited to read all your posts until after your dog was found. It would have caused me sleepless nights. It is heartbreaking when one of your loved pets is gone. It's a blessing he was found! You have a good neighbor.

Roosters. That's another story. I never grieved over losing any of mine.

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

Those roosters! Thanks for your kind thoughts. It was a real trial, while he was missing. I'm loving and hugging him all I can.