Monday, December 18, 2023

It's Starting To Feel Festive



Hello, friends.  In case you didn't see the update on the past post, McNibs made it home Monday evening, thanks to a lovely woman 3.5 miles from here.   After eight days, he was very thin and seemed disoriented.  I've been feeding him rice, home canned pumpkin, meat with broth, and sweet potato.  A neighbor friend brought by some liver for him, which she gets in her cow share, but doesn't eat.  So, he's getting small amounts of that as well, to help build him back up.  He shook intermittently the first couple of days, and peed in his bed, which is unusual for him, so I took a urine sample to the vet, to make sure he didn't have anything going on.  Thankfully, it came back clear.  He started seeming like himself, after a couple of days.  Now it's a matter of fattening him back up.  I'd always felt fairly safe, knowing he was microchipped, but I've got something on the way, which adds our contact info to his collar.  I sure hope we never need it, but one more layer of protection.  I'm walking him on a leash so far.  I laid it down while hanging laundry, but picked it back up, when he strayed a bit farther than I was comfortable with.




Last week, I used discount codes for online purchases.  At the grocery store, I got dogfood at $6 off, asparagus for $1.99, and brussels sprouts $2.99, and earned $8 in rewards for my purchase.  I enjoyed catching up on two seasons of a series I liked, with DVD's from the library.  Two loads of laundry were dried on the line.  While picking up groceries, J noticed Food Lion had marked their Christmas trees down from $59.99 to $19.99, and picked one up.  We noticed only a day or two later, some of the stores had marked them down further to $9.99, but we're still happy to have not paid $60 or more for a tree.  When he got the tree home, he cut a slice off the bottom, and placed the trunk in our pond, to keep it hydrated, which kept it in good shape, until putting it up on Sunday.  We celebrated Christmas with our granddaughter, taking her out for dinner over the weekend, which we all enjoyed.  


pillow I made years ago

I'm not sure why the sad dramas with our animals recently, but we had another one with the hen and chicks.  Shortly after McNibs went missing, our hen began hatching out her chicks.  Of the fifteen eggs, six attempted to hatch.  Two never made it fully out of the shell, but there were four healthy looking chicks.  Within the next three days, all were dead.  We're not exactly sure what happened with the first two, but I did see mama hen fling one of the chicks, while scratching in the straw.  The chick seemed OK at the time, but if she did it again, who knows?  When we were down to two chicks, I moved them and mama into the private broody area, as she kept moving where she was sitting with them, maybe because of all the attention from the rest of the flock.  When we checked on them that evening, she had gotten up onto the roost, leaving the chicks below to die.  Mother of the year, she was not.  We don't know why she changed so much, since bringing up her first batch of chicks.  We're both in agreement that if she finds a spot to lay more eggs, we are not going to allow her to sit on them.  



I've been diligently working on using up our '22 sweet potatoes.  The pups and chickens have been getting some every day, and on Sunday I made this sweet potato soup for lunch, which we both enjoyed.  The critter potatoes are brought to a boil on the stove, then moved to the woodstove to finish cooking, which has been working well.  What's left are the huge football-shaped sweet potatoes, more than a dozen of them, so I'll just keep plugging away at them.  Sunday afternoon, we strung our tree lights, and decorated.  We're having my family's Christmas gathering here, next weekend, so it will be a busy but happy week.  May you enjoy the pleasures of the season!


8 comments:

daisy g said...

That's the best news about McNibs! So grateful for the angels out there.
That sweet potato soup recipe sounds good. Maybe I'll give it a go after I finish the soup I made this weekend.

Looking festive indeed! Enjoy each day.

Laurie said...

Indeed! I tried giving her some money when I picked him up, but she refused, so on Saturday, I picked up one of the easier care orchids at our local orchid greenhouse, and dropped it by. I hope it will cheer her, as her kindness is cheering me every day. Soup will be perfect this week. It's getting ready to turn cold!!!

Barbara Rogers said...

Glad your little guy is home again, and being nursed back to good health. Such a sad story about the hen and her chicks. Yep, she can provide eggs for eating, not little ones!

Laurie said...

Yes, I don't know what shifted in that hen, but she is not mama material these days!

April said...

Hooray about things looking up for McNibs! (The chicken story: yeah, sometimes they turn on their whole nest. My grandparents used to raise chickens and sometimes the Sunday dinner was a hen who'd decided to attack her chicks!)

I think we need a photo of the "football-shaped" sweet potatoes. (I am also thinking football-sized, but that may be wishful thinking on my part.)

May your household and family know peace and comfort and light this holiday season and may that carry into 2024.

Laurie said...

I'd not heard of that, April! I know the pecking order can be pretty brutal, but didn't know that about mama hens and chicks. And indeed, they are football sized! I'll see what I can do about a pic for next week. Thank you for the beautiful holiday wishes. I'm wishing the same for you.

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Oh gosh, I'm happy to read that poor McNibs seems to be doing better. Hoping he continues to do so and get some weight back on. Your tree is beautiful! I was shocked to see prices around us consistently $75-$85.00 per tree. That's fantastic that you were able to find one marked down.

That's too bad about the hen and chicks. I had no idea they could turn like that. We had a broody hen who was very mean immediately and we never let her hatch any again, but never had the unfortunate experience you had. Especially since you moved her, so you would think that would reduce any stress.

Wishing you a restful and quiet week - you both deserve it!

Laurie said...

When we checked the tree lots around us, their trees were more in the $75-&85 range. We usually prefer those trees, as they're kept in water, but one for $19.99 sounded a whole lot better, even if it loses some needles.

I'm so thankful McNibs seems back to his usual silly self. He's definitely enjoying all the extra food! The little game hen has been a learning curve for us. None of the rest of the flock seemed to bother them, but were just interested and looking. We thought she might be feisty enough to raise them without separating them from the flock, but I guess that was a bad idea.