Monday, May 15, 2023

Lentil Results, Some Upholstery, and a Rooster



Hello, friends.  When we got our couch reupholstered last year, I got more of the fabric, to redo the bar stools in the kitchen, and finally got that done.  The chair below is the first one you come to, when you come in the door, and all manner of things get set upon it... baskets from the garden and other outings, purchases other than groceries, etc.  The second pic was as good as I could get it with upholstery cleaner.  It was time.  The ends of GF bread were added to a pan in the oven, to dry for bread crumbs.  I mulched the new flower bed with hay we got last year, and harvested lambs quarter, lemon balm, thyme, nettles, parsley, oregano, asparagus, kale, and peas.  The lemon balm, thyme, nettles, and some of the oregano were dried.  I made suet for the birds.  Our granddaughter was in a choral concert, and we enjoyed seeing that.  I made sloppy joes with some of the lentils I recently canned, and couldn't tell any difference from cooking them from scratch in the recipe.  The only difference was there were noticeably less, as a pint jar doesn't end up with 2C, with all the liquid, but the texture of them seemed no different.  


before


All the bedding, and pillow and mattress covers were washed, and dried on the line, in anticipation of changing from winter flannel to summer cotton sheets.  I've mended our mattress cover before, and the cover again disintegrated in places in the wash, allowing some of the wool to escape.  It was far enough along this time that J suggested I cover that side with a sheet.  I found a sheet that had been thrifted, and we worked together sizing, cutting and sewing it to the mattress cover.  We'll have to replace it, but it should do us at least one more season.  There's a new skoolie post up, prior to this one, if you are following that adventure.  My warm weather clothes were brought down from the attic, along with some summer sheets.  I was greeted by this visitor on the way to the clothesline one day.



After an appt, I went by Hallmark, where I got a free card and used a $4 off coupon.  I also submitted the receipt through Swagbucks, giving me the equivalent of $7 back.  So, for just over $9, I was able to get six high quality cards, most for upcoming birthdays.  I was very happy to find the organic celery price lowered at Harris Teeter, from $2.99 to $2.69.  It wasn't a sale, just the current marked price, and I'm hoping it will last a while.   Just the celery purchase alone saved me over $37 for the week, over Food Lion prices, plus I got an additional 5% off my order for seniors day.  It really does pay to know your prices.  I then did a stock up at Dollar Tree, finding toothbrushes, cotton swabs, scrubby sponges, lentils, and parchment paper. I heard from a Youtuber I follow that DT had shrunk the lentil size from 16 oz. to 12 oz, and they had at this store too, but I was still thankful to get them.



This may be TMI for those with gentle inclinations.  The bantam rooster has been acting like a randy teenager, and mounted one hen so often, he caused a wound in her side, so he's gone to time out.  I've got some chicken aprons on the way.  Though I've made some aprons in the past, I found some for a price that I felt my time was worth more elsewhere, these spring days.  We've had some warmer days.  Even with closing the house up in the morning, it was pretty hot inside, 79 degrees when dinner was ready on Friday.  J suggested we eat on the porch, which turned out to be a wonderful idea.  Even though the temp was supposedly still 80 outdoors, there was a lovely breeze, and it was so enjoyable to hear the birds and see all the blooming things while we ate and talked.  We enjoyed it so much, we did it again on Sunday, after J grilled us a lovely dinner.  Wishing you a wonderfully healthy and happy week.


8 comments:

daisy g said...

The ritual of swapping out clothes and sheets for warmer weather has become one of my favorite habits. Living with the seasons just makes life better somehow.

Your lentil sloppy joes sound great! I need to put that on my summer menu plan.

Enjoy the week, my friend.

Laurie said...

I so agree with that, Daisy. We like the sloppy joes enough that I pretty much make them weekly these days. I use this recipe, leave out the turmeric (J is allergic), and swap lemon juice for the vinegar. https://foodrevolution.org/recipes/lentil-sloppy-joes/

April said...

Your TMI about your rooster made me howl! Reminded me of the scene in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle where the turkeys came into their teenage years: the toms went after things like watering cans and one of the hens came on to Kingsolver's husband. Hilarious that you put your bad boy in time out!

Laurie said...

Sometimes all you can do is laugh!

Staci D said...

Thank you for sharing the lentil info. How very interesting that the texture was like freshly made. That's fantastic! Also, thank you for sharing the lentil sloppy joe recipe link. That was going to be a question from me. 😊

I remember the rooster time out days well. We had the aprons for all of our girls because our rooster just wouldn't stop. If chickens could roll their eyes all of the girls would have been doing that every time he even looked at them.

I appreciate you always sharing your savings and your continued mention of Hallmark monthly free cards finally sparked my interest enough to research where the nearest one to me is. There is one a few towns away where I travel at least once a month to Trader Joes. I am going to look into signing up for the crown rewards. We go through quite a few cards each year so it will be a nice savings. Thank you!!

We haven't been able to swap out our flannel sheets yet but it's coming soon. Our daytime temps have been warm but nighttime is still cool - one of the best parts of spring!

Your chairs look great! I finally was able to check off of my year and a half long to-do list, painting the living room and all exterior doors. It feels great when something that is on the list for a while is finally checked off.

We've been harvesting asparagus, greens and herbs but no peas as of yet. It will be an exciting day when they are added to the harvest basket!
Wishing you a wonderful week!

Laurie said...

The Hallmark that was closest closed several years back, and I didn't go for a long time, but I realized once my massage therapist moved her office, there's one almost across the street. Besides the free card, they seem pretty generous with coupons too. I love the warm days and cool nights too! Your painting sounds like quite an accomplishment. It sure does feel good to cross things off the to do list!

Jeannie said...

The chair looks great!

Appreciate the update on the canned lentils. Looks like I'm going to have to give it a try now.

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

Even though lentils don't take long to cook, some days even a half hour makes a difference. And I'm thinking making sloppy joes in the summer with the least amount of heat will also be a good thing.