Monday, May 22, 2023

A Sweet Pup & Green Growing Things


all but the largest house plants, acclimating to the light


Hello, friends.  Last week, all of the house plants were moved onto the porch.  They'll stay there a few days, to acclimate to the increased light, before moving to their plant stand.  I dried laundry on the line between rainy days.  Our tanks have been staying pretty full with all the recent rains.  I used our sweet potato and homemade curry mix in a coconut cauliflower curry dish.  J replanted cucumbers, after only one of the original bunch came up (or more likely were eaten by critters).  Some are coming up, but look like they're being eaten.  Grrrr... dang roly poly's.   I harvested, asparagus, peas, lambs quarter, nettles, and lemon balm.  Jar of glycerites were started with the lemon balm and nettles.  It's about two years since I got a raise from the guys for doing their expenses and bills, so I spoke to J, and got a nice raise, which I greatly appreciate.  



I mended several pairs of J's work pants with iron on patches.  While the iron was on, I ironed three pieces of clothing, and caught that up too.  The next day, I mended one of our clothes hampers, and a pair of my muck boots.  The shoe goo had dried up, so I tried two part epoxy.  We'll see how well that does to keep the sole on.  I pulled our crowder peas from the freezer for a dinner one night.  On a cooler day, I baked several sweet potatoes, and roasted two pans of cubes as well.  Two of our butternut squash were made into soup, and the leftovers frozen.  On another day, a sweet potato pie was made.  I'm thankful for what we still have in storage, but feel the need to use it up before we get into hot weather.  I have some humongous sweet potatoes left, and am considering canning them for the first time.  If you've ever done this, I'd love to know what you think.



This big goof of a pup melts my heart.  How sweet is he sleeping there?  Though our extended fencing seems to be keeping the deer out of the garden, they are decimating our asparagus bed, eating the tops off before they can fern, which does not bode well for next years' crop.  On Friday, I spent the day with my sister.  Our original plan fell through, and the day required a bit more flexibility, but we enjoyed out time together.  We did manage a little thrifting.  I brought home a box of slate tiles for $3, a good sized lidded jar for $3, and Mary Engelbreit notepad for $1.  I'd just been talking about the possibility of using slate, as part of our skoolie build the night before, so had to pick those up.  There's a new post up prior to this one, if you're following the skoolie adventure.



All of the second planting of potatoes is now up.  J & I planted more tomato seedlings I started from seed, which filled out the row.  There are more seedlings than we can likely use this year, but we plan to plant at least another row, once they're large enough.  Chard and beet greens were sauteed with garlic and veggie broth for a dinner.  I multiplied the curry powder recipe by 8, and made a batch.  We've been eating curry about once a week lately, so I go through the powder fairly quickly, and want it to last a bit longer before needing to replenish.  Many of the lettuce seedlings were transplanted to other beds, to give them room to grow.  What germinated the best for me this spring was speckled bibb, which we enjoy.  This week, I hope to seed some more lettuce, so there will be a second round for summer.  Take care, friends, and have a great week.



10 comments:

April said...

Laurie, one of the (many) things I like in your blog is your uses and reuses of things, and your deliberate thoughtfulness when it comes to food (make a batch, freeze some, etc.). It is a pick-me-up!

Sweet puppy photo is just a bonus!

Laurie said...

Awww, thanks April!

daisy g said...

Another week of thrifty pursuits!
I need to sow another round of lettuce as well. Mine has lasted this long, but it'll be bolting soon. Have you ever tried Jericho? It's a variety a friend of mine in Florida grows and he says it doesn't mind the heat one bit! Gotta find some seeds.

What a cute pup. He looks quite content in dreamland.

Enjoy your week!

Laurie said...

Jericho lettuce sounds familiar, but I don't think I've grown it. I'll have to check it out. It's great to have lettuce as long as we can, into the hot weather.

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Such a bummer about the cucumber plants and asparagus. There's always some challenge thrown at the garden, isn't there? That's nice that you and your sister were able to make the day together work. I'm sure it's always a great time when you can do something together. And what a sweet pup indeed!

We are expecting to get a late season frost tonight..... My entire garden is planted so I'm hoping all of my pepper and tomato plants make it through. Sure would be a bummer if they didn't. I agree about the lettuce - I grow as much of it for as long as I can too. I'll have to check out the variety Daisy mentioned since we experience similar heat and humidity during June-August that you do. It would be wonderful to extend that crop a bit.

Wishing you a wonderful rest of the week!

Laurie said...

The deer repellant seems to be working so far, and I've planted cucumbers in pots, and will try planting them, when they're a good enough size. Yes, it's always an adventure! I saw where some had frost last night further north. I hope your garden fared well!

Jeannie said...

I just found Jericho lettuce at Pinetree Seeds and they are in my shopping cart ($1.95). It claims to be able to withstand the hot summers.

I can sweet potatoes every year. I roast them first until they are mushy. It improves the flavor. After removing the skins, I add water and blend until it has the consistency of cake batter. Adding water lowers the viscosity so that you can be sure the heat penetrates throughout. I tried peeling and canning them in chunks but that was labor-intensive.

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

PS: I love the puppy pictures.

Laurie said...

I may have to make a Pinetree seed order. Thanks for the info on it, and canning sweet potatoes. Do you cook the canned ones on the stovetop, and do you have to cook it a while to evaporate the water?

Jeannie said...

I cook them either in the oven or in the air fryer. Baking or roasting seems to caramelize and make them sweeter. I don't think they taste as good after being boiled.

Some from last year are still in storage and need to be eaten or canned soon but I can't remember to get them. They are stored in my bedroom closet in a box beside my shoes. For some reason, that is the perfect place in my house. Anywhere else they won't last long.

Jeannie

Laurie said...

I agree that sweet potatoes cooked in the oven taste better. That's helpful information. Glad you found the perfect niche to store them!