Monday, October 5, 2020

Dyeing with Plants, Peanut Harvest, & Frugal Accomplishments

                        

 

Hello, friends.  Last week, I requested books from the library, when I needed to pick up an order in town, and coordinated a few more stops while I was there.  I used a $10 off coupon at Tractor Supply, and a 20% off coupon at Big Lots, which helped me restock.  Food Lion had avocados 2/$1, so I got 4, and also got $10 back in rewards.  The garden fence was overrun with morning glory this year, so I started pulling it out, getting two wheelbarrows full the first day.  I added it to our burn pile, so the seeds won't have a chance to germinate.  I made a double batch of fig bread, including two smaller loaves.  I also chopped and froze enough figs for two more loaves.  Pasta salad was made, using our tomatoes, cucumber, basil and oregano.  Deviled eggs were made with our eggs.  With the cooler temps, we've been able to keep the a/c off.  J split a large pile of wood, which will almost finish filling up our wood shed.




J hemmed two of the new work pants he got at the thrift store.  I harvested peppers, figs, pears, pawpaws, cucumbers, tomatoes, apples, eggplant, and persimmons.  One of my local soap clients expressed interest in my fig bread.  When I took a loaf by for him, he offered me persimmons.  We have three scrawny trees, and two young ones that are not yet bearing.  I'm not sure if I'll gather any there, but even if I don't, I do appreciate the offer.  A pan of bread ends was ground and frozen for bread crumbs.  A pan of egg shells was crushed and added to the compost bin.  I'd bought a bag of limes when I had yellow squash coming in from the garden, for a particular dish I make.  The squash has been long gone, and I needed to do something with the rest of the limes, so I decided to ferment them.  I've not had them before, but recommendations are to use the juice in salads and grains, which sounds good.  




For a dinner, I made eggplant crumble, sauteed squash & onions with herbs, and a green salad with figs and pear.  All the ceramic canisters I purchased at the coast had holes drilled, so I can turn them into compost crocks for my shop.   I discovered a new simple living vlog that I'm enjoying, The Cottage Fairy.  My sister and I met for the first time since March.  It was so nice to spend time catching up.  We enjoyed sitting on the outdoor patio of a shop, on a gorgeous fall day.  On Saturday, I had soap orders to deliver, and another errand dropping off something for J.  It was nice catching up safely with all these folks.  On Sunday, J finished up some orders, and in between painting them, I helped him gather the peanuts he dug.  We're pretty pleased with the harvest.  The photo was taken when we were not quite halfway up the row.  We do have more peanuts in the pond garden, but the deer chewed on the plants several times, so we don't expect there to be many there.





Another dye experiment was started.  I began by dyeing one batch of fabric with goldenrod, and another with avocado skins and pits.  The goldenrod was lackluster.  I'll have to try another batch less diluted, to see if I can get brighter colors.  The avocado batch, however, turned out beautifully.  I'd read to freeze instead of dry the avocado bits, and have been doing that.  The results are so much better than the last dried batch.  For dinner, I made tomato rice loaf, which used our tomato and onion.  J cut the first winter greens, and I made our first winter salad of the season with them.  They were so tender and good.  Be well, friends.  


6 comments:

daisy g said...

Sounds like another productive week.
What a treat meeting up with folks you haven't seen in a while.

How do you keep the squirrels from digging up the peanuts?

Enjoy the gorgeous autumn weather!

Laurie said...

I'm going to say it's only luck that has kept the squirrels from finding the peanuts. That, and we have so much else for them to eat around here. Not sure we could repeat that another year though!

Michèle Hastings said...

Look at all those peanuts! That is really cool. The avocado dye is a very pretty shade.

Laurie said...

It's our first decent harvest of them. We're pretty pleased. I'm thinking the avocado is pretty too.

Jeannie said...

I harvested a bumper crop of peanuts three years ago. I haven't planted more because there are still some stored in a one-gallon glass jar in the cool dark basement. They are fine, not stale or dried out at all. We only eat a few at a time because no one wants to bother shelling them. If I shell, toast, salt then sit them on the table hot, they are gone in seconds.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

That's so good to know about the peanuts. This is our first real crop, so we're learning. I can imagine the prepared peanuts would be gone quickly here too.