Monday, April 4, 2011

A Tale of Two Rescues

In the last few days, I had the realization that though I have had two dogs before, I have not had two male dogs beforeOh the yipping, barking and gnashing of teeth!  Thankfully, Lisa reminded me of Rescue Remedy, a flower essence I always keep in my purse.  It's for those times you've got an adrenaline rush, for any reason, and helps calm you.  For example, I've used it after the phone call that came in the middle of the night, before giving a talk in class, and before an interview.  A family member used it, instead of a prescription med, for panic attacks while pregnant. It's a mixture of flower essences, and imparts different qualities from the various flowers. I've used flower essences for years, on my animals, myself, and loved ones.  Two of my favorite suppliers are Perelandra in Virginia, and Green Hope Farm in New Hampshire.  Green Hope has an animal wellness line I like.  Flower essences have fallen by the wayside with me recently, so I'm thankful for the reminder for a gentle and natural approach to two very energetic pups.  I add a few drops of Rescue Remedy to their water bowl each time I refill it.  Ah, brotherly love!

The eggs remain plentiful, so I've tried to be creative with them.  I've often made curried deviled eggs, in addition to the standard variety.  Recently, I saw a reference to curried egg salad, and thought that would be good to try.  With a few minor changes, here is what I came up with:

Curried Egg Salad
 
4 eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
5 kalamata olives
Salt and black pepper, to taste

Place eggs in a pot large enough to hold them all in a single layer. Cover by 3 inches of cold water and place on the stovetop over high heat. Once the water starts simmering briskly, reduce heat and cook eggs at a gentle simmer for 12 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer eggs to a bowl of ice-cold water. Let cool for 5 or 10 minutes, then peel.

In a medium mixing bowl, mash eggs with the back of a fork. Combine mayonnaise, curry and pistachios in a small mixing bowl. Remove flesh from olives, chop and add to mixture. Add mayonnaise mixture to eggs and combine well. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

tell me more I could use some calm.
Those two are so cute!
Don't be surprised I am signed in under my name!

Laurie said...

I noticed that(your name, not needing calm :o) Remind me on Weds., & I'll tell you more.

Joyce said...

Oooh I could use some of that smelling salt to calm my nerves and Bo's craziness. LOL... Congrats on the addition to your family. I love the photo! They look so sweet!! xo