Monday, March 7, 2022

Time For Planting & Making Biochar




Hello, friends.  Last week, I planted two gingko seeds gathered last year, following these instructions.  It's a bit late to start them, but nothing ventured....  Several loads of laundry were dried on the line.  The peas are up.  Any spots that didn't come up were replanted, but it's looking quite good.  The wintersown containers are starting to germinate, including bachelor's buttons, yarrow and rudbeckia maxima.  Several new containers were planted.  I reviewed which seeds need cold stratification, brought the others in the house, and placed them on the hearth to facilitate germination.  I filled up my car before prices rose further.  J saw it .30 per gallon higher in the next day or two, and I expect it's higher now.



I read an interesting post on alternatives to using peat in gardening, which is in most potting soil mixes.  I remember stories my Irish grandmother told about gathering peat for heating, but otherwise didn't know much about it.  I helped J pull more wire for solar.  The system is working very well.  It keeps up with demand throughout the day, keeping the batteries charged at 100%.  In the morning, with what we've used since sundown, it's gotten as low as 82% charged, which isn't too shabby.   More flowers are blooming now, with forsythia, crocus and snowbells joining in.  Library books, youtube videos and a movie on Amazon were enjoyed.  I took daily walks with the pups.



  

I soaked items in a laundry stain mixture shared on The Prudent Homemaker, from The Tightwad Gazzette, which did a great job.  There's one piece I need to redo, but it took care of the rest.  J planted 325 onions and 42 potatoes, only because that's all the eyes we had cut off last year's potatoes so far.  More potatoes were eaten since, and more eyes are drying.  I got around to experimenting with reused canning lids.  All 18 jars of broth sealed, which surprised me and made me happy.  Here's hoping they remain sealed.  The first of the asparagus is up.  I weed whacked the original asparagus bed, which will be mulched when J has time to move a bale of hay with his hay spike.  Saturday was a good day to light the large brush pile we've been adding to in the pond garden.  When I caught up on chores in the house, I tended to the fire, and poured water as areas finished burning, to create biochar, which has more benefits to the soil than ashes.  Later, when J finished working in the shop, he took over.  The soil in that garden is not the best, so tilling in the biochar should be helpful.  It is long lasting, and only needs to be added to a garden once.  Biochar also sequesters greenhouse gases, an added benefit for the environment.  I hope you are able to find peace and calm this week, during these challenging times.



7 comments:

daisy g said...

Sounds like spring has found its way to your neck of the woods too! I'm enjoying the little crocus coming up here.

So great that your solar is working splendidly! What a great accomplishment!

It's difficult to find potting mixes without peat. I saturated my coir blocks yesterday and plan to use that along with my local compost.

The asparagus fresh from the raised bed is so good, I don't even cook it! What a treat.

Peace to you, sister friend. May all good things come your way...

Laurie said...

Hooray for little crocuses to cheer us. They mentioned how the UK was farther ahead in offering non-peat mixtures, but we're experimenting here at least. I've been eating raw asparagus in salads the past few nights. I haven't found a way I don't like it! Take care.

Chef Owings said...

Amish reuse their canning lids for canning unless it has been on meat. Then they use those lids on dry goods or put a hole in the top and string it to scare birds away from the berry bushes

Unknown said...

So glad the solar is working out so well! The flowers are lovely - thank you for sharing this spot of beauty!

Laurie said...

Thank you, Juls. I've been using them on dried goods, and even plasma cut snowflakes and trees in them one year for ornaments, but am pleasantly surprised all of them sealed again. I'll definitely be trying it again. I'm vegetarian, so the only meat I've ever canned is leftover Thanksgiving turkey from the family gathering for the dogs. I just couldn't bear to watch them throw all that meat in the trash!

Thank you, Unknown, for the encouragement!

Jeannie said...

Yahoo for the solar working great! That will save you a fortune over time.
I have reused lids before and have had success. My brother reused one lid 13 times when he was making jelly. He wanted to see how long he could push it.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

Wow, 13 times! That's impressive.