Monday, February 28, 2022

Powered By The Sun




Hello, friends.  While in town picking up birdseed from Tractor Supply last week, I got some groceries at the nearby Food Lion.  Knowing we've sanctioned avocados coming from Mexico, and as they had them for .99, I got three.  They also had organic oranges on sale for $4.99/3#, and our dogfood for $6 off.  Wednesday started out rainy, so I mended a camisole, hemmed two pairs of shorts from scrub pants I'd cut off, and shortened two flannel king size pillowcases, to make them fit my husband's queen pillow.  I also darned four pairs of wool socks, before heading out to prune apple, peach and pear trees, once the rain let up.  Suet was made for the birds.  The final bit of tax info was gathered, and the last numbers crunched.  That always feels like a milestone.  Once J's info comes in, we'll be ready to take it to the accountant.  



I've wanted a heart cookie cutter for some time, and found one marked down to $2 at Marshall's, which also came with a nice spatula.  I made a double batch of pecan sandies.  The first of the peas poked up over the weekend, some of both types.  I winter sowed 13 containers, including two types of lettuce, parsley, cilantro, artichokes, and lots of flowers.  It was a rather momentous week here.  J did the final bits so we could switch over, and our home is now powered by the sun.  Though it's been cloudy and rainy since we switched, it's keeping up with our demand without problem, which is great.  On Sunday, I made a batch of hummus for lunch.  For dinner, I used one of ours and a store bought butternut squash to make a double batch of crumble, sauteed our collards with garlic, and used homemade salad dressing.  Enough squash was frozen for another crumble.  Five gallon bags of vegetable scraps were defrosted on the woodstove, with plans to can the broth. Each day, I'm sending peace, love and light to the world.  Be well, friends.  


5 comments:

daisy g said...

So happy for y'all that you are solar powered! For me, it is still yet a dream. Congratulations on meeting your goal for more self-sufficiency.

I too, am sending out peace each day. The world needs so much of it.
Blessings...

Laurie said...

More self-sufficiency is a good dream. Peace and blessings to you.

Michèle Hastings said...

Yay for solar power!
I haven't bought avocados in a couple of weeks. I was wondering how the latest news will affect supply.

Jeannie said...

Congratulations on being solar powered!!!!!!!! That is a major step. It will be worth the effort for years to come.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

The food supply is interesting, and may get more so. Thanks for the solar good wishes!