Monday, December 16, 2019

A Trip Abroad & Frugal Accomplishments

Hello friends.  Since I was here last, J planted our garlic.  They'd been stored in our basement, and a disappointing amount of them had started molding.  We'd intended to plant them much sooner, but just hadn't managed to find the time to prep the bed and plant them.  We ordered the garlic months ago, because they sell out quickly, so it can be a challenge.  I harvested collards, and made this recipe.  A few more Christmas presents were sewn.  I've been wanting to collect some reusable Christmas boxes, and found some at Dollar General.  Last year, I thought I'd wait until they were marked down, but they were all gone, so I bought two when I saw them.  We still have a few of our tomatoes ripening.  Some were used in a tomato rice loaf, along with our garlic, onions I'd dehydrated, and homemade bread crumbs.  I spent 1 hr 45 mins on hold with my healthshare.  I never managed to talk with anyone, but got my holiday cards written while I waited.  I downloaded a free Kindle book.  A batch of ear oil was made, for an ear that had a little discomfort.  Two heads of broccoli were harvested; one enjoyed, and the other frozen.  Kale was harvested, and salad made.

The last few days before we traveled were a whirlwind, with packing, taking care of last minute things, household chores, holiday prep, and creating and shipping two orders.  But the day came, and we were off on our adventure.  For several years, J has told me he wanted to show me where he was stationed in Germany.  His daughter, who was a small girl while there, instigated a trip earlier this year.  We timed it so we'd be there for the Christmas markets.  We did visit several, including one in rain and a wintry mix.  I tried gluehwein, and have to say I'm not a fan.  At another market, I had hot chocolate, which was wonderful. 

The hotel we stayed at served a delicious, elaborate buffet breakfast, free to us, as J had joined their rewards program shortly before our trip.  We enjoyed wandering the town they had lived in, stopping in at the bakery next door. While walking down at the river, I noticed chestnuts that had fallen from a tree, and gathered a few.  I suppose that was not strictly allowed, but when we arrived home, they came into the house with the luggage, and were quickly prepared for eating.  We then went to a royal residence with lovely museums, having free entry and art dating to the 12th century. 

I was drawn to the woman sewing

On Sunday, the ladies had a spa day, with thermal baths and massages. We had some challenges navigating their system, with the language barrier, but all ended well.  We returned to the town where J & his daughter lived, and were able to spend time with the woman they had rented their apartment from (the first floor of her home, begun in the 1100's), and her nephew.  They took us all around town, treated us to lunch at a traditional German restaurant, and we even had a chance introduction to the burgermeister or mayor.   It was a special day.

the doorstep to their home in Kitzingen
I enjoyed free ebooks while on our trip.  We brought back money, which is always a plus.  We arrived home late, without getting dinner on the plane, so made egg sandwiches.  Exhausted, having been up over 24 hours, we decided not to stop on the way home.  The morning after arriving home, a driver who came up the driveway backed 5 or so feet beyond the driveway, knocking down a trellis, and crushing a statue of St. Francis that my Mom had bought for me.  I shed a few tears over that.  Amazingly, this was someone who works as a driver.  Pretty sad.

Christmas market in Frankfurt

At home, I enjoyed a free Christmas movie on amazon prime, and listening to free music on Pandora.  On Sunday, we ventured out for groceries, chicken feed, lumber and a Christmas tree, which had been marked down 25%.  Dog food and naval oranges were on sale.  When we got home, J put up our wood shed addition, all but the roof tin.  I baked our first sweet potatoes, and harvested collards for collards and rice.  I dyed fabric with onion skins, which will be used in presents I am making.  Though still not back to full energy, it's going to be a busy week, so I'd best think energetic thoughts.    Have a good week, friends!


daisy g said...

Wow, what a fabulous trip! Sounds like it was well worth waiting for.

Glad you are back home safe and sound.

Laurie said...

Thank you, Daisy!

Michèle Hastings said...

What a wonderful adventure you had!

Laurie said...

It was a good adventure!

Jeannie said...

Oh what an exciting time you had traveling!!!! Thank you for sharing. I can't imagine living in a house that is over 1,000 years old. Here in Tennessee, nothing is really very old.

Laurie said...

It's hard to imagine, isn't it?!