Monday, April 17, 2023

The First Hummingbirds



Hello, friends.  Last week, I harvested lambs quarter, lemon balm, asparagus, nettles, dandelion greens for the pups, and thyme.  I canned spaghetti squash, and dehydrated pumpkin, nettles, thyme and lemon balm.  Trying to use up squash, I made a dish using spaghetti squash and lambs quarter, and made a double batch of curried butternut soup.  Half of the soup was frozen for future meals, and the rest fed us two meals.  Small amounts of pumpkin were added to the pups breakfasts all week.  A container of meat bits and broth was defrosted, and small amounts added to their dinners.  Three volunteer bachelors buttons were transplanted to a flower bed.



All laundry was hung on the line to dry.  I made suet for the birds, and planted basil, eggplant and paste tomato seeds.  I went through Swagbucks for a purchase, getting 4% back.  After an appointment, I shopped and got my senior discount at Harris Teeter.  They had only one OG celery, but the hearts were on sale for 2/$6, so still some savings over Food Lion.  I picked my free ebook for April through Prime, and picked up a free card at Hallmark.  At Dollar Tree, they had no lentils, but I was able to pick up evaporated milk, 4 packs of vegetable and fruit seeds, and scrubbie sponges.  The hummingbirds began returning, which is always a cheerful sight. 



At Food Lion, I got our dog food on sale for $6 off.  They have been having this sale on a regular basis in recent months, so each time they do, I try to pick up two or three bags.  Last week, I learned that an invasive plant we have is Florida Betony Root aka Rattlesnake Root.  We're not sure how it came to be here, but found out it is edible.  We'll have to try it out.  We picked up our taxes, and thanks to our solar purchases, will be getting a refund.  I baked a sweet potato pie for J, and added four more sweet potatoes to bake while the oven was on.  I'd heard gas prices were expected to rise, so filled my tank, though it was only a quarter down.  Soon after, it rose .20/gal.



J worked up a spot for sweet potatoes, and we got them planted.  My sister and her husband came by.  I potted up four tomato seedlings for her to take, and sent a dozen eggs home with her.  J was able to get a free pecan seedling, and planted it.  Someone left several boxes of Christmas things in a storage building, which I took straight to the thrift store for donation.  They also left a pretty, like new banner with flowers and birds.  I kept that, and switched out my cold weather banner to this one.  I go through a lot of broth preparing recipes.  I'd guess I used four pints the past week, which is good, because I already have 5 or 6 gal. bags of vegi scraps to make more.  I'd be overrun with jars of broth, if it wasn't used on a regular basis.  It's such a good use of something that could be wasted, and with bountiful health benefits.  If you're not already saving vegi scraps and making your own,  I encourage you to try it.  Freezing the broth works just as well, if that works better for you than canning.  Have a good week, friends.


8 comments:

daisy g said...

We have put our hummer feeders out, but haven't seen any yet. Several of our neighbors reported seeing them, so I know they're here.

My sweet potato slips are not growing as well this year, so I'm not sure I'll have enough to plant without purchasing a bunch. I usually don't plant them until next month. Hope yours do well.

I've been using what scraps I have left to make veggie broth and freezing it, mostly due to your practice. It takes me a while to build up a stockpile, as I feed our worms scraps weekly. Thanks for the nudge! I'm grateful for the broth, as I can't find store bought without tomatoes in it, which I have to now avoid.

Enjoy these last cooler days! Blessings to you and yours...

Laurie said...

I surely understand about making your own, because the store bought version has ingredients you can't have.

Our sweet potato plants are really sad looking. My husband paid for 2nd day air for the slips, and they arrived on day 5 or 6, with not a lot of life force left. They needed to get in the ground to have any chance. We did start some slips from homegrown, so can fill in some blanks, and will hope for the best.

April said...

Hummingbirds!!! Wonderful!!!

We are still throwing off winter here. After a week in the upper 70s, we are back in the 30s-40s for a few days and nights. All the same, I did a rough post-winter weeding of the kitchen garden (the one next to the house) on Saturday: inch by inch by inch. Spring IS coming!

Laurie said...

We're getting some nights in the 40's, in between warmer ones, and 40's again in about a week. Each time I think it might be the last, we get more. Good for you! My weeding has been less than stellar so far this year.

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

That's great about the hummingbirds. We were just talking with a fellow market vendor yesterday about their anticipated date to return. We were blessed with sun and high temps (almost 90 degrees!) this past week. We are also happy that the temps have dipped back to the 50's for this week. It's one of my favorite things about spring.

Happy to read about all you are planting and harvesting!

Laurie said...

I had read of there being temps in the upper 80's in that area! Every day is an adventure in the spring! I've not seen many hummingbirds, so it may just be the scouts here so far.

Jeannie said...

My hummingbirds showed up three days early this year. I usually see the first one on tax day but this time they arrived on the 13th. That little one drank and drank when it found the feeder. It had to be starved.

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

I usually count on seeing our first ones around Easter, but it came early this year. Yes, I always figure those first ones must be very thankful to find any feeders set up. You're a good soul.