Monday, April 24, 2023

A Surprise & Spring Days



Hello, friends.  When I guessed I had 5 or 6 gallon bags of veggie scraps in the freezer last week, I was a bit off.  There were actually 12.  Certain things fill up the bags quickly, such as skins from winter squash, asparagus ends, and the ever present celery butts.  Another round of broth was canned, making use of 4 of the bags.  As the temps have lowered in next weeks forecast, I expect I'll can some more.  Last week, I harvested kale, lambs quarters, asparagus, dandelions, and a beet.  I pulled bolting lettuce for the chickens.




I went to the annual NC Herb plant sale with a friend, and brought home several lovelies.  This year, I got rose geranium, borage, woad, weld, jiaogulan, pussy willow, American arnica, lanceleaf rudbeckia and painted daisy.  The next day, I created a new flower bed I'd planned for some dahlia tubers I had gotten, along with J's help.  Besides the dahlias and a volunteer sunflower, the borage, painted daisy, and wintersown marigolds were planted here.  In different beds, I transplanted a volunteer clump of bachelor buttons, and a hollyhock with another I had started from seed.  The jiaogulan was planted alongside an arbor.  The wintersown zinnias and all but one of the calendula were killed by the cold, so more seeds of both were planted.



Between rain showers, J and I planted the pussy willow down by the pond.  Over the weekend, we finished putting up the deer fencing around the garden.  Several jars of herbal glycerites were strained and bottled.  Recently, J surprised me by bringing home a school bus, which he intends to convert into an RV, so we can travel in comfort around the country.  We've both been watching youtube videos, gathering ideas.  Life is always interesting around here!  I found an event happening soon in VA, which will have tiny homes, along with van and school bus (skoolie) conversions.  We're excited to learn more, and meet others who are doing it.  I've been pondering the possibility of starting another blog specifically for the skoolie, for our journey in converting it, and then sharing wherever it takes us.  It seems enough different from the usual homestead and frugal things I share here.  If you have any thoughts about that, I'd love to hear.


8 comments:

daisy g said...

Sounds like you picked up quite a nice assortment at the plant show.

I made a lovely red lentil soup (stew) yesterday with the homemade veggie broth I had frozen a few weeks back. Thank you for the nudge to get started with that. The recipe can be found here: https://www.acouplecooks.com/red-lentil-soup/.

OMGosh! I love the skoolie revolution! How exciting to have something so amazing to work on. I'd definitely be interested in hearing about the conversion and the travels you might enjoy on the bus. Wow, that was some surprise!

Enjoy your week, my friend.

Laurie said...

I'll definitely check out the soup recipe. We've been enjoying one that uses butternut squash and red lentils. In fact, I'd used up all I had, and got some more red lentils at the co-op I belong to last week. So, a good time to try a new recipe.

Thanks so much for the feedback on the skoolie. Would you think it'd be better with posts mixed in here, or on a blog dedicated solely to that?

April said...

Oh my gosh!! Love love LOVE the idea of converting the school bus and traveling around in it! The idea of that just makes me smile!!!!

We are still too cold here to garden; I have not yet ventured seeds or plants outside. The farm market where I buy tomato plants won't even be bringing those out until May. But that day is coming!

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Wow - 12 bags of veggie scraps! I didn't even think about how many celery ends you would have because of the juicing. I find it so exciting to get new plants - sounds like you purchased some great ones.

I'm with the others in definitely wanting to follow your bus conversion and the traveling that will come after. I have a couple of thoughts, since you asked. I would LOVE to read it all here on this blog but will also follow it on another if you choose to do that. I've tried separating a blog into 2 and it was kind of a hassle. Not horrible but I ended up combining them both times I tried it. Since you post your homestead posts on Mondays, maybe you could choose a specific day to post your skoolie/travel posts so if you have followers that don't necessarily want to follow that journey, they could just check in on Mondays?

Whatever you choose, it will be fun to read about. Wishing you a wonderful week!

daisy g said...

If it's less work for you to just combine your bus adventures here, just do that. Maybe you could dedicate one day a week for those posts. I'd follow a separate blog, if that's what you choose to do.

Laurie said...

Thank you all for your encouragement on the skoolie adventure! I appreciate your sharing your experience with trying two blogs, Staci. The idea of posting on certain days is a good idea I'll give a try. I appreciate all of your feedback!

Jeannie said...

Add the travel adventures to this blog! I would love to hear them.

Making broth from veggie scraps is something I need to start doing. There is always so much I compost that could be used further but my scraps seem to be disgusting - dirty and rotten. Anything store-bought might have pesticides so there is that concern. However, squash peels are definitely a possibility. I'm going to give this a try. There is plenty of room in my freezer at this moment. You have talked me into it!

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

Thanks for your input. I'll be adding our skoolie adventure here!

I put even small veggie bits into the broth bag, like onion, mushroom and carrot ends. It all adds up. I bet you'd have some greens stems. I do only use the milder tasting greens stems, like chard, being crucifers can be rather strong, but you can try and see what you like. I hope it works well for you!