Monday, November 14, 2022

Going With the Flow & Sustainability Challenges on the Homestead


Hello, friends.  Last week, I earned $20 off with a promotion Food Lion is doing, and redeemed it the next visit.  I was excited to find that my library offers some streaming movies, and want to explore it further.  While checking for eggs one day, I found a snake in one of the nest boxes eating eggs.  I called J, who was on his way home.  When he got here, he bagged it up, and we relocated it, hopefully never to return.  I weeded and mulched several beds, which contain lots of lettuce, beets and chard.  We covered all the beds with lettuce and chard with row cover that is supposed to protect them several degrees.  J was able to barter with someone nearby.  She's finishing our sheetrock, and he's going to hang hers.  He found a good deal on lumber for the siding of the new sewing room, cheaper than we paid for the studio addition several years ago, and finished siding it.



I enjoyed herb tea with homegrown lemon balm, lemon verbena, spearmint and red clover.  Our frozen broccoli was used in a pad thai dish.  I emptied several pantry staples into canning jars to store.  All laundry was dried on the line.  Warm up water and water from washing greens was used for flushing or added to the humidifier on the woodstove.   When I saw a friend recently, she gave me several birthday presents, including 2 gorgeous thrifted cotton pillowcases and a floral sheet.  Seeing them while hanging them on the line, and taking them off gave me a smile.  I do love linens, especially older ones, which are often so soft.  



The soles of my my husband's work boots were in bad shape.  He bought a new pair, and when they arrived, he mailed his old pair to the company to be resoled.  He's been wanting a sweet potato pie, so I made one using the last frozen whole wheat crust just for him.  Even if it had been a GF crust, the recipe (Betty Crocker) has eggs and evaporated milk too, so I just need to find a good vegan pie recipe.  I finally got to cleaning the fridge, which has been on my to do list a very long time.  During the summer, I'd clean a shelf or two as I could, but never finished the entire thing at once.  That feels good to have done.  Boy, it was sticky!



While researching a trip to Charlotte with a friend, I found a restaurant chain called Flower Child, who have many vegan and gluten free choices.  We had lunch there, and it was delicious.  We had intended to visit a garden and bird sanctuary, but got rained out, so we ended up visiting several thrift stores.  I ended up with a cotton, still in package fitted sheet for $5  (priced $22), medium glass refrigerator dish with lid for $9, like new waffle iron for $15, shirts for J, and a large and super soft cashmere scarf for $3.50.  It was a fun day, and I look forward to visiting Wing Haven another day.



It was a bit of a challenging week, as far as sustainability goes on the homestead.  The big tanks that supply our household water ran out mid-week due to the drought.  Thankfully, J keeps a small backup tank for times such as this, which covered us the 36 or so hours before the rain started.   To make sure we'd be able to store as much rain as possible, I got up on the roof with J's electric leaf blower, and cleaned off a large amount of leaves, acorns and sticks, then did the gutters.  We were very thankful to get 1 3/4" of rain from Nicole, which filled our tanks halfway.  There's more rain in the forecast this week.  With any luck, our tanks will be filled further.  Then, the two solar boards arrived from China for the inverter.  J replaced them, and the power lasted about 10 minutes before crashing.  He tried it several more times with no success, making it obvious this isn't going to fix the problem.  He contacted the company again, to let them know.  We're back on grid power, hoping for a positive outcome and a quick return to solar.



At the grocery store, I was able to get frozen wild blueberries for $1 off, an avocado for .89, and organic red grapes for $2.49/#.  From the garden, I harvested winter greens, oregano, collards, rosemary, lettuce and chickweed.  On the most likely last day in the 70's, I cleaned the chicken coop.  Sunday was chilly, so I made a vegetable soup by sauteing  homegrown onions, garlic, carrots and cabbage, and adding jars of tomatoes, tomato sauce, summer squash and potatoes.  A store bought can of beans and stalk of celery were added, with a container of a small amount of leftovers from the freezer.  Some winter salad was included, and it made a tasty meal.  The week ahead had looked to be a calm one at home.  But now, an appointment has been moved to this week, and there's an out of town funeral to attend another day.  Ah well, it's good to breathe, and go with the flow.  Wishing you a good week!



3 comments:

daisy g said...

I have a couple of allergy-friendly pumpkin pie recipes on the blog, if you're interested. The crust is made with dates and nuts, so there is no gluten involved. The filling can be changed out as you like with pumpkin or sweet potato. Minimalist Baker and My Quiet Kitchen usually have a good selection of allergy-friendly recipes.

I forgot to tell you, I got the seeds! Thank you for sending them. I look forward to growing some new things.

Sounds like you got some good deals while thrifting in Charlotte. I'll have to remember the name of that restaurant, in case I ever get over that way.

You got some of that glorious rain! Yippee! Hope your tanks get filled.

I love a clean fridge. I tackled that job last week as well. I use acrylic bins in the fridge, to make it easier to keep clean. They do a great job and contain any spills too.

How much do I love that J has his boots resoled?! Everything now is disposable, and it drives me batty!

Have a lovely week, my friend. Hope you are bundled up for the chilly weather!

Staci D said...

Your addition looks great! I love your siding. What a great barter - mudding and taping is the worst part (IMO)!

I'm with you - I LOVE linens. Too bad about not getting to see the sanctuary but sounds like you had a good time and found some great deals. Yummmm...to the sweet potato pie! I make a vegan pumpkin pie from NoraCooks.com but it's not GF so, unfortunately, not a recipe you could use.

Happy you received rain. We were recipients of quite a bit from the same storm. Hoping you receive more and that you can get your solar figured out. That has got to be frustrating.

The soup sounds delicious! Have a wonderful week!

Laurie said...

I hope to make a pumpkin pie soon that I can eat. That sounds really good! Yes, rain! And we're getting more today, though not much yet. Would you believe J got an email saying his boots were rejected for resoling?! No idea why, but hopefully they'll send a reason with the boots. The tops were no longer perfect, but no holes, so it'll be interesting to see. He's not too happy about that.

I'm with you, Staci! Mudding, taping and sanding are not my idea of fun. I'll be happy if I never have to do it again. The solar folks told him to change a switch setting today, and we got three hours out of that before crashing, so maybe we're getting closer. Hope so!