Monday, October 25, 2021

The Slow Turning of the Leaves & Bonus Flowers



Hello, friends.  Last week, I redeemed rewards at Food Lion for $9 towards my purchase.  For one dinner, I tried a new recipe for peppers stuffed with seasoned mashed potatoes, which used our peppers, potatoes and herbs.  Two library books were enjoyed.  While on the website to purchase lye for soapmaking, I saw they were having a sale on their lifetime membership for $100, down from the usual $500.  With membership, you receive 20% off all purchases.  Not only did they give me 20% off my purchase, but they also gave me 20% off the membership price.  I've already recovered a significant portion of the $80 membership, and though I'd never considered getting the $500 membership, this was definitely worth doing.  




J planted garlic, and seeds of mixed winter greens, kale & turnips, carrots and chard.  I planted more lettuce and beet seeds.  The forecast can always change, but at the moment, it appears we'll make it into November before our first frost.  He has been cutting some of the free firewood, making room for some more someone else wants to give him.  He has lots to split, but has cleared the area where he first puts the large pieces.  It's crazy how much free firewood we've been offered the past couple of years.  We're so thankful for it.  J dumped the old soil from the houseplants in a bed that's never had much done to it, and I planted seeds of evening primrose that neighbors gifted me.  More of the seeds were planted in the beds around the workshop. 



With our library now fully open, I brought in magazines I'd been saving to put in their free basket when I returned a book.  I also had a fun jigsaw puzzle with a books theme, and asked if they might be able to do something with it.  One of the branches in the county does have jigsaw puzzles, and she was very happy to get it for them.  I used some of our eggplant, canned tomatoes and herbs to make Pasta Norma, with our figs and lettuce in a salad.  With our sad butternut squash harvest this year, I've been researching store prices.  Two stores had them at .99/#, but they were .79/# at Aldi's, so I got one there.  I'll see if I can find them any cheaper.



While out thrifting with a friend, we visited a new to me discount grocery.  They had a lot of frozen foods, which I wasn't interested in, but I found kalamata olives for $1.99 and a 5# bag of grits to make bird suet with for $2.99.  While thrifting, I found a lovely enamel pan to save egg shells in before composting for $3.  My old one had rusted enough that it had holes in it.  The Habitat store we visited had a nice bird section in it, with seed and bird houses, among other things.  I found the bird alert decals I use on the kitchen windows and door for less than half price.  Harvested last week, were eggplant, yellow squash, peppers, hickory nuts, black haw and hawthorne fruits, and figs.  With no frosts in our forecast through the 7th, we're enjoying all the bonus flowers.  Wishing you a week of seasonal pleasures.  


6 comments:

daisy g said...

Oh, that's so encouraging that our frost date is delayed so that you could sow seeds. I pretty much gave up on my beds germinating, and for the first time, bought starts at the hardware store. Ah well, at least I'll have lettuce. I will try to resow the kale (3rd time) and hope for the best.

Enjoy the splendor of fall!

Laurie said...

We also bought starts of collards, cabbage and broccoli this fall. Some years, you do what you have to! Really, I've never been very good at starting those fall plants. We checked out the seeded bed yesterday, and have lots of winter greens up, and some chard so far. Crossing my fingers you'll have happy kale plants.

Jeannie said...

We don't have a frost in the forecast for a week and I am so happy. Of course, that could change any minute. Every warm day is special right now.

I'm impressed you got a yellow squash this late in the season. Good job. I went to the Amish auction and they were selling for $40 for a peck! I wanted to bid on them but stopped when the auctioneer started at $20. He knew what was about to happen. There was one box of tiny okra nobody wanted so I snagged them for $2.00. I didn't mind the extra work cutting them. I have pickled them to be battered and fried this winter - A new experiment for me.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

I'm also impressed to still be getting things from the summer garden. I do think the squash are pretty much finished, but there are still eggplant looking good. The okra for $2 sounds like a good deal! I've not heard of frying pickled okra, but it sounds good. Yes, these warm days are pretty special.

Jeannie said...

Last night I fried a quart since I had one not seal. I loved it and I think it was the best I have ever had. It tasted similar to vinegar and sea salt potato chips since the cider vinegar flavor was noticeable. (I love those chips and never let myself buy them because I can't stop eating them.) Part of the okra I rinsed so the vinegar flavor was less noticeable. If I had done a better job rinsing, most of the flavor would have been gone. Husband and son didn't care for it, they could tolerate it they said but preferred it fresh. Too bad I said as I grabbed their plates away - more for me!
Jeannie

Laurie said...

Well, I'm glad that experiment worked out for you :o)! I like those potato chips too, but like you, buy them only very rarely.