Monday, January 4, 2021

A Fresh New Year & Frugal Accomplishments



Hello, friends.  While in our local small town, I checked into Dollar General, and got a roll of wrapping paper 1/2 off.  It's a nice large roll, so should last a good while.  More and more, I'm using pretty boxes and fabric wraps for J's presents, but still use wrapping paper for others.  While J was out of town working, I pulled okra and veggie patties from the freezer, to have with leftover sweet potato.  The credit card bill came in for our new workshop supplies, and I paid it immediately, so there would be no interest.  Laundry was hung on the line, and yogurt was made.  After washing one of J's merino wool sweaters, I noticed three small holes, and mended them with the darning feature on my sewing machine.  I love that feature!  I also mended the hems of a pair of around the house pants, while I was there.  I scrubbed the bamboo cutting board with baking soda and homemade thieves vinegar, to remove the onion smell.  It worked really well, and the fruit I cut no longer tastes like onion, a definite plus.  




On a raw, cold day, I gathered all of the jars of medicinal tinctures from this year, and strained and bottled them.  While pulling them out of the pantry, I also found the jar of mint honey I'd made, and have been enjoying a spoonful of it as a simple tea.  Our potatoes in storage are fading.  I had to compost a few, and made a pot of mashed potatoes.  J asked for mushroom gravy, so I tried it with one of the home canned jars of mushrooms, instead of fresh, and it turned out great.  That's good to know.   A full bin of shredded paper and cardboard were emptied into the compost bin.  Kale was harvested for a farro pilaf, which also used our onions, garlic and homemade broth.  The onion experiment this year, of braiding them as garlic is often done, has been a success.  I've been pulling the ones that start sprouting, and the braids have stayed together, probably because there was a strand of twine among them.  There have been just a few I've had to compost, but for the most part, I'm keeping up with them.  It seems to work better than having them all together in a basket, and I'd do them this way again.




The pilaf recipe I mentioned was surprisingly wasteful, the directions saying to cut up carrots, celery and a 1/2 onion to cook the pilaf in, along with a quart of broth (in this case, homemade).  It then instructs you to drain the pilaf when cooked, and discard the vegetables.  The recipe was from a well known magazine.  Of course, I wasn't going to waste perfectly good food, so kept it all, and used the broth and vegetables as a base for soup a couple of days later.  I'd been waiting for a good time to make a Vitacost purchase.  One morning, I received a code for 20% off vitamins and supplements, and went through swagbucks to get another 8% back.  That was definitely worth the wait.  The pocket calendar I bought for this year didn't come with a plastic sleeve.  It would never make it two years in my pocketbook, so I used some heavy plastic, and sewed one.  I was wanting a clear cover, but if the plastic doesn't hold up, I'll probably end up sewing a fabric cover.  J & I started a jigsaw puzzle on New Years Eve, which has been fun.  



For New Years Day, I decided to make Earth Goddess soap, an old favorite that I haven't made in 9 or so years.  It has a warm, earthy scent I just love.  Whenever I make a batch of soap, it requires pouring it into the mold quickly, when it's at that point.  This means there's always a bit of soap remaining in the pot, so instead of wasting it, or sending it down the drain, which is not so good for our septic system, I scrape it and often make little soap balls with it.  We use the soap balls at the bathroom sink, and I recently used some of the Earth Goddess ones.  Yup, soap is perfectly good to use for years, decades even.  I knew when I caught the scent that I wanted to make more, and it seemed a fitting endeavor for the first day of the New Year.  That the old soap still smells so nice this many years later is a testament, I believe, to the quality of natural essential oils used for scent.  I expect the years would not be as kind to manmade fragrance oils.  




More positive happenings on New Years day included shop orders, and the nicest message from a man who was so impressed with the quality of the shaving brush and soap sample his wife gave him from my shop, he featured them on his YouTube channel.  What a lovely surprise to receive such positive feedback and encouragement, just as this new year begins.  I intended to sew some masks months ago, but then was given three handmade masks by a friend, so never got around to it.  No more than I go out, three has been enough for me.  But, they've all been washed numerous times, and I don't know how much longer they'll hold up.  The first one I made was with some of my avocado dyed fabric.  The pattern was adult size, and was way too big for me, but fits J well.  I already had a kids pattern, so made it with the same fabric.  It fits me much better. I decided to make two more, this time using some of my eco-print fabric.  One of these will be going to my GD.  I still have to adjust the ear loops, and put the knots inside.  Next, I hope to make some hair scrunchies.  Over the weekend, I helped J pull wire for the new workshop, he installed the electric panel, finished putting up all the corner boards, and did the door trim.  All in all, a fine start to the new year.  May 2021 be kinder to us all.

  

5 comments:

daisy g said...

Starting out the new year in productive mode, I see. I wouldn't expect anything different from you. ;0D

Hoping 2021 is less memorable than the last year (in a good way).
Be Blissed!

Laurie said...

Yes, here's to a year of bliss in 2021!

Michèle Hastings said...

So nice to get positive feedback from online purchases! I hope his youtube video will bring you more sales.
Happy 2021, may you be healthy and prosper!

Laurie said...

It sure is! Many wishes for health and prosperity to you!

April said...

That bird! Love it: what a gorgeous photo.