Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Pretty Special Cake

Wonderful rain finally came last night.  The garden and flowers are breathing a sigh of relief.  Me too, as I have plenty to do with my day besides watering plants.  Not long ago, my Mom found a cake recipe my paternal grandmother used to make. It was in her handwriting.   Mama McHugh has been gone for 16 years now, so that was a pretty special find.  It was a common occurrence for the family to gather there for Sunday dinner.  All were welcome,and many friends and beau's got to sit around her table over the years.  I got around to making the cake this week, and that first bite was filled with sweet memories.

Mama McHugh's Banana Pineapple Cake

3 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 vegetable oil
8 oz can of crushed pineapple
2 cups mashed bananas
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Grease and flour a bundt pan, and set aside.  Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in bowl.  Add oil, undrained crushed pineapple, bananas, eggs and vanilla.  Mix until well blended, and pour batter into prepared bundt pan.  Bake for 1 hr 20 mins, or until inserted knife comes out clean.  Cake will crack slightly on top.  Cool in pan inverted on a wire rack.  Cake will remain moist for some time.

2 comments:

JLK Jewelry said...

Sounds good! I wonder if I could sub gluten free AP flour to try it. Not that I need the calories, but it looks yummy. Hope you guys are well. Life has been a whirlwind of late.

Laurie said...

Same here, Jennie! I bet the cake would be good gluten-free too. Hope you'll try it & let me know!