Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Summer in October


This year has been an interesting one. Usually this week, we're getting our first frost. Instead, we're eating fresh-picked summer squash and watermelon from the garden. I'm not complaining, mind you. Just noticing. I'm awaiting the arrival of a dumptruck, which is delivering a load of dirt for the fabrication shop this morning. I tried a new recipe last night, for watermelon salad. It was different, but pretty good. It's something I wouldn't want everyday, but would eat again. J said he felt the same. The recipe came from Country Living magazine.

Watermelon and Blue Cheese Salad

24 1 1/2 in cubes seedless watermelon (about a 4-5 lb mini watermelon)
3 oz high quality blue cheese, crumbled
2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste

Divide watermelon among 4 plates. Crumble blue cheese on top and drizzle with olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper and serve.

I should say I followed the feel of the recipe, rather than the exact recipe. Our watermelon wasn't seedless, but I tried to remove most of the seeds. I used Gorgonzola Dolce for the cheese, a milder, sweeter blue cheese. I didn't weigh or count the watermelon cubes. If you'd like a little something different, give it a try.

1 comment:

cookingwithgas said...

Hi Laurie- thank you for all the kind words and thoughts about Jay.
Yes- this is not the usually fall weather we have...
but watermelon in October!