Sunday, October 31, 2010

Prolific Chickens and Halloween Wishes


The chickens have been quite prolific lately. So much so, that I'm working on a fifth egg carton. Which calls for some drastic measures, in terms of egg eating. J and crew have been dismantling his shop building this weekend, and making great progress. So, breakfast for M & I was a puff pancake recipe from King Arthur Flour, which used 6 eggs. Yay!

The Newcastle Inn Baked Pancakes

3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
a pinch of salt
2 tbs unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 450. Whisk eggs with milk until well blended & light. Add flour and salt & whisk until they're well incorporated. Blend in melted butter & continue whisking until batter is smooth.

Pour batter into two lightly greased, 6 in cake pans (pie pans work fine too). Bake for 15 mins. Turn out onto a plate as soon as they're done. Sprinkle with lemon juice & serve with maple syrup. The recipe says this is 2 servings, but I double it, so that we each get 2 pancakes. Try it, for a great, easy breakfast.

I'm thinking I'll make a poundcake this afternoon, to use up another 6 eggs. I'd better take a walk today, and burn up some of these calories! I'm wishing you the loveliest of Halloweens!