Monday, February 20, 2023

Mid-February Days



Hello, friends.  Lots of progress was made on deep cleaning the house last week.  On Saturday, J helped out, taking down many of the light shades, washing them, and putting them back up.  He also repaired the string on a blind that had broken.  I went through a large pile of magazines.  Some will be given to an acquaintance who expressed interest in homesteading-type magazines.  The remainder will go to the sharing basket at the local library.  A thrift store had their clothes at 50% off.  I needed groceries, and it happened to be close by, so I stopped and found J two shirts, and myself two tank tops and a skirt for $1.50 ea.  A partial box of cream cheese was pulled from the freezer, and is being doled out for the pup's breakfasts, as we're dairy free now.  I've also been sprinkling a little homemade granola on it, being it's not GF, and they seem to be enjoying both.  




Early in the week, I canned vegetable broth, adding more pints to the shelf.  I grocery shopped after a soap delivery.  Surprisingly, many of the things on my list were on sale.  None of it much, but I saved $12.99 total on sale prices, and another $5.99 discount for shopping on senior day.  I then went by the Dollar Tree, where I found the lentils last month, and they had more, so I picked up 6 lbs.  My plan is to can them.  I had stopped into two other Dollar Trees recently, and neither had them, so I was very happy to find these.  I was also happy to find a 100% cotton tank top there.  The thrift store prices have gotten really high for such a simple thing.  I wear these daily as an underlayer in the cooler months, and several are wearing out.  In the same town, I stopped by Hallmark, found some 90% off Christmas cards, got my free greeting card, and used a $2 coupon.



This was the easiest cleanse I've done so far, and I'm also happy it's done.  J took care of his dinner through the cleanse, though I did make a very simple dinner and brownies for him on Valentine's Day.  When I went to get the vacuum bags for the old system to list on ebay, I found the other bag we'd thought we had for the new one.  Sheesh.  The recently bought ones were finally delivered mid-week, which meant the Christmas tree was finally taken down.  That was a definite record!  When I went to the basement one day, I noticed a smell I couldn't identify, until I looked at the pawpaw wine, and saw that the airlock had gotten clogged, and it spewed.  I hope that's the first and last time that happens, as it was rather a mess.  All has been well since, so fingers crossed.  I finally got around to pulverizing all the tomato bits I'd dehydrated into powder, which will be useful to have on the shelf for cooking.  That's all I can think of, so take care friends, and let's make the week a good one.


9 comments:

April said...

"Let's make the week a good one." Yes! Laurie, I'm with you on that one!!

Laurie said...

Happy to know you're spreading good energy in your little corner of the world!

daisy g said...

So many bargains! You are my kind of shopper.

Glad your cleanse went well. At least you have a source to feed all of the things no longer on your edible list.

Spring is truly coming along here. I guess snow is not in the cards this year. Ah well, maybe next year.

Have a fabulous week!

Laurie said...

I know, we've so been hoping for snow. J told me the other day that there's going to be another arctic blast, though they're not sure which part of the world it will affect yet, or weren't a few days ago. Maybe there's still hope?

Staci D said...

We're receiving snow as I type this! I would LOVE to send it your way. We've been sick for a week and now that we're feeling better, we get to shovel snow! Oh well.

Our thrift stores are quite high priced now. It's such a bummer. I want to go explore a few new ones when we are in their areas in hopes I can find something that truly is a "deal".

Happy to hear your cleanse went well and sorry to hear about the wine. I can imagine it had to be a bit of a sticky mess. You'll have a story to remember when you finally get to drink it!

Wishing you a wonderful remainder of the week!

Laurie said...

I'm so sorry to hear you've been sick, but glad you are feeling better. I expect you may be getting sick of snow at this point. I love to check out thrift stores when I go to new areas! The wine really was a pretty awful mess, but seems to be behaving now.

Jeannie said...

I vote "no" on more snow and will gladly send my storms your way!

My local thrift stores have raised their prices also to the point that I keep walking away. We are trying online estate auctions. They have one day for inspection, the next for online bidding and then the last day is for pick up. Some go ridiculously high but others are cheap - you never know. I shop around until I find one with enough items to make the drive worthwhile.

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

I looked at estate auctions a couple of times recently, but these seemed to go on several days, and of course, nothing is close to us!

Jeannie said...

Oh no. We once went to one that was outside in a tent and drug on all day. It was not worth the wait for one little bowl. We left.
I like the online ones because I can comfortably sit at home and look at things. It takes a while to find one close by us.
Jeannie