Monday, November 8, 2021

Gratitude




Hello, friends.  Last week, I swapped out the warm weather and cold weather clothes in my dresser.  A number of bananas that were getting past prime were frozen.  I redeemed Swagbucks for a $25 Amazon credit.  Christmas cards were bought with a B1G1 1/2 price offer.  I started a jar of stevia glycerite, and put the dried oregano and sage in containers.  Some years back, I was given a large trunk.  In need of storage space for supplies in the workshop, I moved it in there.  I'd love a cabinet of some sort, but this will work well enough for now.  We had expected a hard freeze one night, but only got a frost, and not enough of one to harm the basil.  I did harvest all the yellow and tromboncino squash, eggplant, peppers, a large bouquet, and a large amount of basil before the expected freeze.


My dapper husband before the parade

A couple of months ago, J was invited to sit on the reviewing stand of his home town's Veterans parade.  We headed there early Saturday.  Though it was a blustery day in the 40's, it was an honor to participate.  This is going to be a shorter than usual post, as I just don't have more in me.  M's trailer burnt to the ground last week, and though he made it out unscathed, we realize how close we came to losing everything... our home and both of our means of livelihood.  J has always been my hero, but I truly believe his actions saved our homestead.  Though it seemed forever before the fire department arrived, it couldn't have been more than 10 minutes.  It was already fully engulfed when I called, as I'd been blissfully unaware, gathering ingredients for a pear pie.  Before they arrived, J put out fires on the carport fence multiple times, kept M's derelict vehicle and his propane tank hosed down, and kept my workshop just a few feet away safe.  It sizzled every time he sprayed it down, it was so hot.  If the workshop had caught, it's only a few feet away from two large fuel tanks, and if they had caught, our house likely would have.  I'm feeling so very blessed and grateful, and feel our angels were working overtime that day.


9 comments:

daisy g said...

What a terrible experience. So grateful that J was there and able to save things. So glad that y'all are okay. I believe in angels on earth as well.
I hope your week is less eventful...Blessings.

cookingwithgas said...

Fire can be unforgiving. You are extremely lucky it was not worse.

Michèle Hastings said...

What a terrible experience. I am glad that everyone is safe and that you didn't lose your business and home.

Jeannie said...

Oh, how awful! I am glad you and your handsome husband are safe. He fought the fire and is truly your knight in shining armor.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Jeannie said...

Just checking back to see if there is any news. I can't get you off my mind. Don't feel pressured to reply since you are very busy right now.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Casey said...

I usually just read your post on The Prudent Homemaker, but I wanted to say how sorry I am about the fire on your property. We had a similar experience several years ago, although we live in a neighborhood. Our neighbor’s old RV exploded and caught their house on fire and encroached on our property as well. We lost all the landscaping on that side of the house … trees that I felt gave their lives to save our house. We also lost the shed and it’s contents, with minimal damage to the side of our house. The smoke damage to our second floor was the worst! We managed to save all our vehicles in the driveway. Fortunately, even though it was during the night, I’d just come to bed and heard the initial explosions. When the fire department arrived, and it seemed like it took forever, they immediately started pouring water on our property and called it a 2 alarm fire. Their prompt action and my husband’s and my shared adrenaline saved us. I cycled through bouts of anger and thankfulness. We did take the opportunity to repaint the upstairs and do some decluttering. I pray you’ll walk through this without too much angst. Just wanted to let you know my heart goes out to you and I understand. Chris M

Laurie said...

Thank you, Chris, for your kindness. It sounds as though you had a pretty terrible experience. I'm so thankful ours wasn't worse, as it could have been so much worse. I so appreciate your taking the time to come here and comment.

April said...

I am trying to catch up on weeks of posts of friends, starting with you, and just read this one about the fire. So grateful the two of you are safe.

Laurie said...

Thank you, April. You've been on my mind, and I'm so glad to see your comment.