Monday, April 15, 2019

Sweet Potato Critters & Frugal Accomplishments



Hello, friends.  Last week, a dozen eggs were shared with a friend.  Yogurt was made, and a batch of sweet potatoes were dehydrated.  One of the sweet potatoes looked somewhat like an animal, possibly a bird.  The summer tanagers returned to our suet feeder.  I've been wanting to plant some ferns and hosta on the path to our outdoor shower.  On Friday, I transplanted two wild ferns from a spot at the edge of the woods.  The weather was warm enough that we did not need the wood stove all week.  Windows were opened for fresh air. 


I needed to find some waterproof summer boots that would work well hiking, and not hurt my feet.  My winter boots have faux fur inside, so would be really hot for warm weather.  After researching, I went through swagbucks for 4% cash back, and redeemed a $25 swagbucks GC to pay for almost half the cost of the boots.  After an appointment, I shopped at a Trader Joe's for produce and wine, then at a natural foods co-op for additional produce.  I continue using up our frozen berries from last year in my oatmeal.


For a dinner, I made a frittata, using our eggs and asparagus, and harvested cat brier tips twice to add to our salads.  I pulled lambs quarter and spaghetti squash from the freezer for a side dish.  J & I planted the first of last week's nursery plants.  We planted 6 pink muhly grass out by the road.  For what the above link is charging for one plant, I got 6, which is pretty nice.  We also planted two chickasaw plums gifted by a friend, and 3 rhubarb plants she picked up for me at Lidl's for $2.49 ea.  A movie was enjoyed on Netflix, and a free series on The Truth About Cancer.


An omelet was enjoyed for breakfast, using our eggs and asparagus. There were still quite a few winter squash from last year's garden.  On Sunday, J & I peeled and cut up several of them, with plans for me to can them on Monday.  We worked a bit on the area around our outdoor shower, transplanting several ferns, moss and creeping jenny.  I planted the bronze fennel in the bed next to the porch, and harvested asparagus.  J finished welding three orders, and I powder coated them on Sunday.  Eggs were boiled for the pups.  Three books were requested from the library.  That's what I can remember from the week.  I hope you accomplished all the things you wanted last week.

No comments: