Monday, March 11, 2019

Nice Movies & Frugal Accomplishments


Hello, friends.  Last week, I went through ebates to purchase a book for a future gift, for 6% cash back.  Ziploc bags were washed to reuse.  Eggs were gathered, and a bouquet of forsythia, peach blossoms and daffodils gathered  before lows in the 20's might have killed the blooms.  I enjoyed watching two movies (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society & Our Souls at Night) on amazon prime & Netflix.  I had read both books, and was happy that the movies were enjoyable too.  With an abundance of eggs, I decided to make a frittata for dinner.  The leftover asparagus was used, along with artichoke hearts and cherry tomatoes, and our oregano and parsley.  These were what hubby requested in the frittata, and it was good.  Though I packed our orders to ship on Sunday, I wasn't going to town to work until Tuesday, so waited until then to drop off the orders at the Fedex site, saving an hour of driving time and gas.  The orders were ready before they were promised, so it seemed the frugal thing to do, both in terms of time and money.  I learned that what I was thinking was scotch broom out by the road is instead winter jasmine.  They're similar looking, but winter jasmine has red buds. before they open into yellow flowers.  I always say gardening is a life long learning adventure.

After work on Tuesday, I went by Aldi's and picked up asparagus for $1.79/lb, as well as organic strawberries and a few other things.  I got 8 bottles of organic cranberry juice for $1 each at the discount grocery.  The day before it was to be in the low 20's, I harvested kale and collards.  I made kale salads, and enjoyed using some mixed in green salads.  I've been eating larger and more varied salads, more fruit, and reading Eat To Live, which was an ebook from the library.  I doubt I'll do the 6 week program, but it makes sense to add more leafy greens and fruit to my diet.  This weekend, I noticed the grape hyacinth and crocus starting to come up, and peony leaves breaking the ground.  It hasn't felt like spring the past week, but the plants know it's coming.  I redeemed Swagbucks points for a $25 amazon GC.  I worked at an occasional job on Saturday.  On Sunday, we picked up our taxes, then worked on orders.  On Saturday, I was able to sew a button on and mend a sweater, and finish hooking a rug.  There's still a bit to do before it's finished, but it's progress.  I enjoyed listening to Pandora and podcasts.  Swiss chard soup was pulled from the freezer and enjoyed.  Crushed egg shells and shredded paper were added to the compost bin.  We're soon to have a family gathering here.  My focus this week has been on getting the house ready, so this will be a short post.  I hope your week will be a lovely one. 


3 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

Yesterday I noticed our grape hyacinth is blooming. I really need to get out and clean up our flower beds. It's been hard to work outside with all this rain!

Linda Starr said...

wow, you are getting the bargains at the stores, love the bouquet, I was too late to save our plum bloxxoms and hope our peach is delayed a bit more

Laurie said...

It sure has, Michele. There are many spots that need cleaning up here too.

I can't tell for sure yet, Linda, but I think at least some of the peach blossoms will survive. Our plums, thankfully, have not started blooming yet.