Monday, December 3, 2018

A Jolly Good Show & Frugal Accomplishments



Hello, friends.  When our company left Saturday afternoon, I gathered up the bags of frozen vegi scraps, and put them in two pots on the woodstove.  I strained the scraps out on Sunday, and let it cook down until Monday, then canned it.  There are 14 more pints of broth added to the pantry shelves.  While keeping an eye on the canner, I sat at the kitchen table and finished writing my holiday cards.  Canning water was used to water plants once it cooled.  The last of the tromboncino squash was used in pasta sauce, along with homegrown herbs, onions and tomatoes.  A "pumpkin" pie was made using our cheese wheel squash and eggs.  Laundry was dried on the line.

waiting for their evening walk
My stepson added us to his Hulu account, as he can have six devices total.  Our granddaughter watched a movie while here, and I've begun exploring things to watch during the dark nights of winter.  I asked for suggestions on fb, and enjoyed watching This Is Us.  If you have suggestions for positive, uplifting, historical/period pieces, simple living or homesteading shows, I'd love to hear about them.  A set of linen pillow shams still in the wrapper from a duvet set I bought years ago was listed on ebay with a free promotion, and sold.  I'm thankful to continue getting sales in both of my online shops.


Much of the week was spent getting ready for the annual Handmade Holiday show.  Though it turned out to be a gray and rainy day, there was still good attendance at the show.  Lots of soap found new homes, a few natural deodorants and shower tabs too.  Several friends dropped by that I don't often see, which is always a pleasure.  I tried two new recipes on Sunday, one for sweet potato muffins.  The recipe said you could use banana if you didn't have the full 3 cups of  sweet potato.  They were good, but the banana pretty much overpowered the sweet potato, so next time I'll try it with just the sweet potatoes.  The other was The Prudent Homemaker's taco soup.  Even if you're not especially interested in frugal living, I recommend checking out her recipes.  I've tried many of them, and every one has been excellent.  The taco soup was amazingly quick and easy to make, and we both thought delicious.  Wishing you a great week!

2 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

Glad you had a good show. Jeff and I like "This is Us" too. We used to watch "Parenthood" on hulu. If you haven't seen it and it's still available, you might enjoy it.
I am going to have check out the taco soup recipe. I am always looking for a new soup to make.

Laurie said...

Thanks! I hope you like the soup as much as we do. We had the leftover soup last night, and added in some leftover roasted potatoes, which was really good.