Monday, March 25, 2024

Redbuds & Berries



Hello, friends.  Last week, two books of stamps that had been misplaced for probably two years were found, in between cards in my card drawer.  I'm so glad they were forever stamps.  I mended a sweater, pair of pants, a skirt, and a shirt.  An Ebay purchase was made through Swagbucks, for cash back.  The hens are producing lots of eggs.  Some were steamed for J.  I steam them now, instead of boiling, as they're usually easier to peel.  I harvested asparagus, chickweed and wild violets.  More dried lentils were canned.  We paid the additional amount that the property tax went up on our rental house into escrow, so more of our payment will go towards the principal, and we can pay it off a bit sooner.  Some of the tomato and pepper seedlings are sprouting.  Eggs were shared with a friend, and the remaining cat food and kitty treats were given to a neighbor friend.



A favorite cotton nightgown was so threadbare, it began ripping and had to be "retired".  I salvaged the buttons and started working on the lace.  What remains will go in the rag bag.  Soapmaking oils were melted on the woodstove, saving propane.  At the grocery store, brussels sprouts, dogfood and potatoes were on sale.  The potatoes were at a price I haven't seen in a long time, at $1.60 off per 3#, and between us, we bought 15#.  The dogfood was $6 off, which is my usual stock up price. Brussels sprouts were $1 off per pound, and I got two.  Their season is winding down, at least in our home.  Then we'll be on to more spring foods. While in town, I quickly popped into two thrift shops, looking for canisters to turn into compost crocks, but no luck, so nothing was purchased.



J bought two varieties of blackberry and blueberry seedlings, which came last week.  We got them in the ground the evening they arrived.  While I was canning lentils, he planted seedlings he bought of cabbage, broccoli and lettuce, just before rain.  I wonder if anyone has insight into this?  I tried a new recipe for maple glazed roasted carrots last week.  Following the recipe, the carrots were hard rocks after the end of the roasting time.  I've noticed with every recipe I've tried for roasted vegetables, other than potatoes, this is always the case.  With brussels sprouts, cauliflower and carrots, I must steam them before roasting; otherwise they're inedible.  Is it me?  My oven?   I have a pretty new oven which will cook via convection or air fry, but I just use plain old "bake' because that's what I know.  Do you experience this with roasted veggies too?  Always hope to keep learning.  Wishing you a lovely week!


6 comments:

daisy g said...

How wonderful to add new berry bushes to your homestead. Will you be making jam?

The forever stamps must have made you smile when you found them. That'll save you a trip to the post office.

I've not experienced that trouble with roasted veg. I roast mine (on "bake") at 375 F for anywhere from 35-45 minutes. I usually roast potatoes, onions, carrots and beets together, along with some olive oil, salt and garlic.
Do you have a temperature gage in the oven? You know the type that you can hang on one of the racks to make sure your temperature is accurate?

I hope your week is both productive and peaceful, my friend.

Laurie said...

I did have a temperature gauge, but am pretty sure I used it in the powder coat oven. So, I just need to order another. That's a great thought. Something that just occurred to me, is almost all of the recipes I use have me putting the veggies in the oven plain, with no oil or anything, then continuing the recipe with them. I usually put a little oil on potatoes when I make them. Hmmm... But that still doesn't explain why the recipes apparently do well for the people who wrote them, but not me. I'll follow up with the gauge. Thank you!

I expect most of the fruit will be used in smoothies, at least until our jam supply gets lower. We hardly use jam these days. Thanks so much for "stopping by".

April said...

Okay, that was a new one--your steaming of eggs rather than boiling them! Obviously, I have never tried that before as until I read your post this morning, I never thought of that as an option!!!

Laurie said...

That was a tip I read somewhere, and it seems they peel much easier in general. Of course, there are always stubborn ones!

Jeannie said...

I learned something new. When I canned lentils for the first time, I used a rounded cup in a quart jar and they swelled up to the top. The lids didn't seal on two of them! The next time I used 2/3 of a cup and it worked perfectly. Most of my dried beans have been in storage for a while since I am always rotating but the lentils were just purchased.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

I had to figure out the right amount at first too. They varied, but thankfully, all sealed.
Now I make notes of how many pounds will make a canner full, of the various beans. I've been trying to can up a lot of my old beans too.