Monday, March 18, 2024

Happy Spring!

 


Hello, friends.  I hope you've gotten a reprieve from winter, in your little corner of the world, and are seeing signs of Spring days, which is arriving on Tuesday.  Our asparagus has started poking up, and the first few spears have been harvested.  J cleaned out the woodstove, and I was able to supplement all the remaining fruit trees with wood ash.  After finishing, I applied worm castings to a number of fruit trees, and our oldest three blueberries.  We're thankful to have gotten some rain, and were able to switch back to rainwater for our home.  The soap I made for our personal use finished curing, and I've shared some bars with friends.



Our garlic is coming along nicely.  J intends to fertilize it this week.  My canning project last week was our lima beans.  I'd like to get enough on the shelf to last us until weather cools again in the Fall.  I believe I accomplished that with the lima beans.  I plan for there to be a few more rounds of different beans, and at least one of broth canned, before the weather starts heating up.  The peas are coming along too.  Though there are quite a few spots with no plants, I'm still hoping there will be plenty to can some this year.  I wanted to give a shout out to the folks at Hisea.  Their customer service is fantastic, and they stand behind their lifetime guarantee.  Joseph gave me a pair of their boots for Christmas '22, and they're the most comfortable and warm muck boots I've ever had.  I've worn the heck out of them, and the fabric upper recently began separating from the rubber lower in three spots, creating small holes.  They quickly responded, and sent out a replacement pair amazingly quickly.  I first contacted them Tuesday, and had my new boots Saturday.  I highly recommend them, if you need waterproof boots or work shoes.  



The photo at the top of the post shows one of the salads I made for dinner.  Instead of following one of the MM recipes that meal, I just made a salad with what I felt like, which included wild violets and chickweed.  I'll finish up the cleanse this Friday, and am greatly looking forward to potatoes!  Though I've lost a few pounds, I'm disappointed to not see much difference in my hands.  I've been reading and researching some things on both eczema and general health, and will likely be tweaking some things.  I received $2.75 in digital rewards for agreeing to a longer ship time on Amazon.  I experimented with bringing the water lettuce in over the winter, and the plants have survived, but they were on their last legs, so I put them back outside, in the bird fountain.  If it continues to look like it may frost Monday, I'll bring them back in for the night, then set them back out, and hope for the best.  More seeds were planted, and the radishes and tomatoes have begun sprouting.  Wishing you a Happy Spring!


6 comments:

daisy g said...

Your salad looks so colorful and cheery! Colorful food=good health. We don't have violets on our property, but I would love to see them sprawling down our slope.

Thank you for the recommendation of the boots. I assume they are vegan. I think I may treat myself to a pair!

I'm so sorry you are still having difficulty with the eczema. I really believe that eliminating gluten gave me great results. Without jinxing myself, I haven't had a flare up on my hands for almost a year. Maybe there is some gluten hidden in something you use? I know you are very careful with everything you use and eat, but it's just a thought.
Enjoy the last blast of winter the next couple of days. Spring is almost here!

Laurie said...

It's interesting, but I've been wondering along those lines as well. Wondering if "incidental" gluten would be enough, as in the crumbs from J's bread in the toaster (I might make toast once a month) or preparing foods for him with it, like the cake I made yesterday. Is breathing it, or touching it enough, and if so, how do I deal with that, being he still eats gluten??? Do you use it in your household, or are you all GF?

Yes, eating the rainbow supports good health! Thank you for your ever-present encouragement, friend.

April said...

You are way ahead of us on spring. (Today there have been snow flurries off and on all day, to boot.) I read your gardening observations and think (speculate) what this year's garden might ("might") hold. So I really enjoy seeing what is going on at your end!

And absolutely love the photo of the salad; you have such a great eye, Laurie!

Laurie said...

Thank you, April. Gotta love colorful veggies and flowers!

daisy g said...

I guess it depends how sensitive one is to gluten. We all cook our own meals, so no, we are not all GF. We do have a separate drawer for C’s snack foods, just to be safe, but he has many sensitivities besides gluten. Have you a naturopath or integrative medicine doc you could consult? Allergy testing won’t give answers if you’ve been avoiding a particular food.
Wish I had answers for you!

Laurie said...

My naturopath retired a couple of years ago, but I'll ponder if there's anyone else.