Monday, March 11, 2024

March Days



Hello, friends.  Though we heard about it after the fact, we didn't know about the recent widespread internet outage.  I suppose we were both involved in other things at the time.  A bouquet of daffodils and forsythia was cut, to enjoy last week, and a few pieces of March decor were brought down from the attic.  Golden paste was made for the pups.  Typical of March, we've had some breezy days, which helped all the laundry drying on the clothesline.  I'm using up things I can't eat, but Joseph can, while I'm on the cleanse.  One night was gnocchi with tomato broth.  Another was polenta with sauteed greens from beets that I bought, and pintos.  



As Tuesday was forecast to be a rainy day, I soaked split peas overnight, and then canned them Tuesday.  Split peas are something I don't often think about.  I'm hoping having them ready to eat will inspire me to use them.  There were enough extra split peas for a pot of soup for J.  He used a ham bone he had, and enjoyed it for a dinner, with leftovers for another meal.  I shopped at Harris Teeter on senior day, and received 5% off my purchase.  A box of GF pasta was found on the clearance rack.  I checked a couple of thrift stores for canisters, which I didn't find, but got a spoon rest, like new kitchen towel, salt/pepper grinder and bathroom scale for $5.  We lost our sweet farm kitty, Callie, last week.  She was 16 and had been doing poorly a couple of weeks.  Despite all that was done, I think she was just tired, and ready to go.  The night before, I spent time with her in my lap on our front porch.  It was a beautiful night sky, with a multitude of stars.  She was kneading and purring, but by the next morning, I knew it wouldn't be long.  We buried her next to sweet Hickory.



While weeding a flower bed, I  noticed a good clump of wild onions, and gathered them up.  They were washed, the stems chopped, and added to the broth bag.  The time change had us both a bit tired on Sunday, but we managed to get a few things done.  I often forget about using my digital amazon rewards, for agreeing to longer ship times, and was determined to use it this time, before losing it.  I had $9.75 in rewards, which is more than usual, and ended up getting this free book.  It's one I've wanted to read since first hearing about it. The peaches and cherry are in bloom now, a pretty sight.  A neighbor asked if I'd like to go with her to some local potteries over the weekend.  We stopped by a couple, and the local bakery.  One of the potteries had a native plant nursery on site for the day, and I picked up a Golden Alexander plant, my only purchase, and one that had been on my list.  I'm hoping to get back to seed starting this week.  Wishing you a week of peaceful days.  


2 comments:

daisy g said...

I’m sorry for your loss. Callie must have been content with y’all, as she lived so long. Bless her for all of the sweetness she brought into your lives.

Sounds like you had a fun weekend, what with thrifting and a native plant sale going on. I wish we had a native nursery nearby.

I hope the cleanse is making a difference. Health and wellness to you and J.

Laurie said...

There have been more native plant nurseries opening, I've noticed. This one was from Troy. If I find one in your area, I'll be sure to let you know.