Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Blooms & Mud and Suds

I haven't meant to be away so long, friends.  My plate seems to be very full these days.

green & gold
Many things have begun blooming this past week.  Lilacs, dogwood, lily of the valley, and our little wild irises.  I hope to have time to take some photos to share here, and make a bouquet.  The wild wisteria along the highways has begun blooming.  Our little wisteria is not blooming, but it made it through the winter, which is saying something, after the cold we had.  I'm still not sure about our large eucalyptus tree.

My Mom has a collection of orchids in front of a large picture window.  Isn't this one lovely?  This Saturday, I'll be taking part in Mud & Suds at Whynot Pottery.  There will be pottery, soaps, vintage glass garden flowers... and cookies!  Come out and see us if you're in this neck of the woods!

Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Scent of Basil

A few weeks ago, my Mom got a basil plant.  Every time I was at her house, I'd have to pass my hand over it and inhale.  It smells like summer to me.  I'm happy I now have one too.  Joseph had a birthday this week, and some of that basil made it into a pasta birthday meal.

Our little furniture business is doing well.  I've even opened an account with a local trucking company, as most of the pieces are big enough to require shipping by freight.  This kitchen table shipped today, headed for California.  The days are turning warm and sunny.  I hope the days are warmer wherever you are, friends!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Littlest Egg

I gathered these two eggs last night.  Even with the first eggs of our young hens, I've not seen such a small egg.  Cute little thing, isn't it?

Our family celebrated my beautiful Mom's 80th birthday at one of our favorite restaurants over the weekend.

On recent busy days, when I've not filled up the bird feeders quickly enough, the birds have taken to stealing from the cat's bowl.  Wildlife right outside the door.  

Monday, March 17, 2014

Custom Kitchen Table and Twinkly Lights

It's another cold gray day, with a good chance of icy precipitation.  But that's OK.  We've got twinkly lights and spring blossoms to cheer us this time.

Joseph and I worked on a custom table order yesterday.  I cut all the metal and was general assistant, while Joseph did all the design and assembling.  We're a good team.  It's hard to believe it's been 7 years today since our first date.  Happy St. Patrick's Day, friends!

Friday, March 7, 2014

The Last Round of Winter Weather, Perhaps

In between the winter weather earlier this week, and the round that arrived last night, I managed to catch a few photos to show spring is indeed on the way in these parts.


I'm feeling grateful for power and hot showers.  We are just on the borderline of ice, and my family just north in the Greensboro area are without power.  I've heard reports of many trees falling.  My brother in law, who works third shift, had to abandon his vehicle to get home this morning, due to so many downed trees.  My family does have alternate means of staying warm, and by tomorrow the forecast is for low 60's, so it can't last too much longer.  I'm concerned about the 30 mile per hour winds forecast for later today, and the further trees it may bring down.

Chickies got fresh hay for their nest boxes, and the birds got a fresh batch of suet yesterday.  As the rain continues to pour down, I think the only sensible thing to do today is make some soap... natural Lavender rainwater soap with organic French lavender sprinkled in. 
Along with much of the country, here's a wish for warmer, drier days!

Monday, March 3, 2014

Spring in Our Hearts

This little bouquet is all I have to show of the springlike weather we had this weekend, picked on a walk with the pups.  There are daffodils, hellabore and a pulmonaria blooming, but the rain has begun, the temperatures are rapidly falling, with sleet on the way, and possibly some snow before it's over.

While it lasted, Joseph worked up the soil, and I planted garden peas.  Our seed potatoes arrived, and are in the pantry growing eyes.  Spinach was planted last weekend, and should be coming up any day.  In doors, we've got tomato, lettuce, kale, cabbage, and chard seedlings already up.  I'm finishing up the last of my taxes. All that's left is to sign a paper or two, get it into a mailer, and send it off.  Happy!

Saturday, February 22, 2014

A Century of Treasures

Hello friends!  Not long ago, some friends bought a building that began as a livery stable in the late 1800's. More recently, it was an antiques shop, and was still filled with treasures when they purchased it.  I've been helping them to find new homes for these treasures, and it's been fun researching and learning about so many different things.

Many items are from the 1800's or early 1900's.

If you happen to collect treasures from this time frame, let me know, and I may just be able to fix you up!

I'll be shop sitting for a pottery today.  Enjoy your Saturday, however you spend it!