Monday, August 14, 2023

Summer's Midpoint



Hello, friends.  I hope your week has been a good one.  Several small chanterelles were harvested throughout the week.  Some were dried, and others were added to our dinners.  I tried a new recipe for GF tortillas.  I'll try adding more water next time, as it was small and dense.  I had to quarter the recipe, as I only had enough of one ingredient for that much.  Making tortillas is a skill I've not mastered yet.  I'd bought a large pack of portabellas.  We had some in sandwiches one dinner, and the other two were frozen, after steaming them.  That's a new to me experiment, so we'll see how it goes.  Speaking of experiments, I've been meaning to report back on the yeast/sugar fertilizer for the cucumbers.  It did seem like it might have given them a little spurt soon after, but nothing significant since.  I held off doing a skoolie post this week, as not much had gone on, but there was good progress over the weekend, which I'll post about next week.




I began the week gathering pears off the ground that the squirrels had knocked out of the tree.  They'd been gorging themselves for weeks.  The tree started out with 200+ pears, and by Friday, it was down to 11 small pears.  I found the fruit picker, and harvested all but one.  Hopefully, I'll have enough to do a small batch of jam.  We enjoyed one in salads with toasted pecans and feta (mine vegan & J's goat cheese).  I started a new batch of nettle and comfrey tea, and made a batch of hummer food.  A brief, strong storm came through one evening, and we lost power for 5-6 hours.  Our solar batteries were depleted, and the generator wouldn't start, and while researching the issue, one of the batteries blew up and drenched J's legs with battery acid.  He quickly washed them in a baking soda solution, and thankfully there were no lasting effects.  The outage happened just as dinner was finished being prepared.  We usually eat dinner with at least one beeswax candle.  That night, I added a few more.  Then we read, J by flashlight, and I by headlamp, until bedtime.



J did end up relacing both generator batteries.  I'd been drying the herbs and elderberries on trays in our kitchen lately, which worked fine until the last batch of elderberries, which started to mold.  Into the compost they went, and the next batch of elderberries went right into the dehydrator, along with stevia and lemon verbena that had been air drying.  The next day, some of the thyme I'd been working on was added.  We got broccoli and cabbage seedlings planted for the fall garden one evening, before a good rain the next morning.  The first zucchini was harvested.  Tomatoes were frozen, until I have enough to process.  I've seen several mentions online of summer being almost over.  I understand that things seem to shift, and the light noticeably changes once August arrives, but August 7th is actually the midpoint of summer, so we're just now in the middle of it.  We've got many weeks left, before Fall arrives.  I'm not wanting to wish the days away, and will enjoy these remaining summer days.  I hope you'll join me.


7 comments:

daisy g said...

Oh no! I'm so relieved to hear that J is okay. How scary!

Candlelight sounds like a lovely way to dine. I enjoyed the few hours of power outage we had after the storm.

I've made gf tortillas that turned out pretty good and I've also bought the Siete brand of grain-free tortillas. Here's a link to their site: https://sietefoods.com/collections/tortillas. They are pricey, but do well in a pinch.

Doing my best to embrace summer here! Hope you have a spectacular week.

Laurie said...

It's so peaceful when there's a power outage, isn't it? I love the Siete dip chips for hummus, and think I may have picked up their tortillas once. I'm definitely going to try your recipe again, and see if I can get better at making them. Hope you have a great week!

April said...

I smiled at your pointing out that we just passed the calendar's halfway point of the season. Like many others out there, I think of summer as almost over, not just half over! I know some of that is because our schools open this Wednesday and the 3rd grader next door heads off that morning! When school starts, summer ends in so many ways. I love your gentle reminder to not wish the days away. Perfect.

Laurie said...

I can see how the start of school signals summer's end for many.

Mrs. Mac said...

We are always sweating bullets this time of the year with 'fire watch' mode. Many wildfires around us - so I'll welcome the fall and some rain.

What a scare with the exploding battery! Glad J is OK.

Our cucumbers seem to only be producing male flowers - I've looked for female flowers - but if they are on the plant - they are not opening up the same time the male flowers are blooming - three cucumber plants are growing without any fruit!

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

My goodness. What a week you've had! I'm so happy to read that J is ok.

Oh, those squirrels. Isn't it frustrating? I don't mind sharing but my goodness, don't take everything I've got growing! I'm waiting to see how many Asian pears they leave us. The tree is loaded but they zip through it regularly.

I agree with April. All of the kids we know are getting ready to head back to school and college, so it makes it feel as though summer is coming to an end. I do look forward to the night-time temps (hopefully) dipping lower as we work into the last quarter of the season. There's nothing as nice as sleeping with the windows open and the house feeling a bit chilly.

Happy to hear about your harvests!

Wishing you a wonderful rest of the week.

Laurie said...

Well, that must be frustrating with your cucumbers, Mrs. Mac. Sending thoughts of safety for you.

Yep, those squirrels sure are frustrating! I'm asking for predator nest boxes for Christmas, to see if that helps. I so agree about sleeping with the windows open. There were three days recently we couldn't open up, and it's such a relief when we can. I hope you get some good sleeping weather soon.