Monday, August 7, 2023

Early August Days



Hello, friends.  Last week, I was happy to find cherries for $1.99/#, and cantaloupes $1.79 at Aldi.  I harvested a few tiny potatoes from a volunteer potato, which was missed last year.  I was not enjoying one of the library books I had gotten, so I started reading the other one I'd picked up.  There are plenty on my "want to read" list, so no use wasting time on one I'm not enjoying.  I made a batch of cashew parmesan.  In the garden, we spotted the first tiny zucchini and tromboncino squashes, and first cantaloupes.  The tomatoes are finally ripening, though we seem to still be eating ones that ripened early due to dying stems or being chewed on.  Not the most flavorful, but we'll take them.  I found the first parasitized tomato hornworm of the year, which I was glad to see.  



My massage therapist told me a Lowe's store I usually pass whenever I have soap to deliver, has an awesome markdown area.  She was right, as there were three large shelving units full, plus a cooler.  I picked up a dented can of organic black beans for .75, and a lb. of organic dried lentils for $2.20.  When I first saw them, I thought that was still pretty high, even if 50% off, but when I thought about nonorganic lentils at Dollar Tree being the equivalent of $1.67 per lb., I decided it wasn't too bad.  I'll make stopping there part of my monthly routine, and hopefully remember to look through the cooler next time.  In the garden, cucumbers, tomatoes, basil and oregano were harvested.



When I couldn't fit another thing in the freezers, I pulled out thirteen gallon bags of veggie scraps, simmered them, and canned 18 pints of concentrated broth.  It's good to have a little breathing room in the freezers again.  All laundry was dried on the line.  Our fourth try at yellow squash were large enough to be planted out over the weekend.  Here's hoping they thrive.  I started seeds of chard and broccoli.  J had wanted to give the mama hen a break, and separated her from the chicks, putting her back in with the rest of the flock.  They were all miserable, so after three days of watching and hearing her clucking sadly at them, I managed to catch her and reunite them.  All is well again.  The chickens are still getting their daily mash, depending on what's available. Most days tomato is included, which they love.   They've also gotten frozen cubes of corn on hot days, and melon rinds.  My Fall-inspired soap is on the drying rack.  Cool days will be here before we know it!


6 comments:

daisy g said...

I don't waste time on books that don't interest me either. I give it 3 chapters and that's it. I've been enjoying books by Laura Denton if you like these type of novels.
I recently found out about a book on osteoporosis, which I hope the library can order for me. I read fiction mostly, but enjoy learning new things as well, especially concerning health and natural living subjects.

We don't have a Lowe's (grocery) near us, but it sounds like it will be worth your while to stop in there once a month.

Enjoy your week. More rain headed here today. Not one complaint from me! ;0D

Laurie said...

Thanks for the author share. I just added one of her books to my list at the library.

The Lowe's that is closest to us has a much smaller markdown section... maybe 1/4 as large, and it's rare I find anything, but I'm excited to know about this one.

So happy to be getting some good rain. Glad you are too!

Mrs. Mac said...

Those are lovely looking tomatoes! We do not have an Aldi's nearby (have never been to one but hear about them almost daily). And I've never seen a tomato hornworm in my north woods garden (they are ugly). If you like history and gardens, try to find a copy of "Founding Gardeners" by Andrea Wulf - it's an expose on how the Founding Fathers established their gardens. Have a blessed week.

Laurie said...

Thanks so much for the book share! Yep, history and gardening are definitely interests of mine. I'll see if I can find it.

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

I'm with you on the books. I used to try and struggle through but no more. There's too many good ones out there to read. Wow - 13 gallon bags of veggie scraps! I guess that did give you some freezer space!! Happy to hear the hen and chicks are doing well. Fall soap - isn't it crazy that the next season is right around the corner? Tonight we are enjoying a break from humidity and the windows are open. It's so nice! Wishing you a wonderful week!!

Laurie said...

Low humidity and the windows open sounds heavenly! It's amazing how quickly the veggie scraps add up. Part of that is the celery ends every day, and I guess the rest is eating plenty of veggies.