Monday, August 28, 2023

Old Friends & A Coastal Sunrise

 


Hello, friends.  I hope you've had a good week.  Last week, I finished signing up for Medicare, after choosing the supplement I want.  J did a great job researching, and we were able to get a plan that has no premium, and also pays $100 towards Part A & B, so all of it will end up costing $64.90 a month.  My understanding is the plans do their annual change up on Oct. 15, so we'll see what it looks like going forward.  But for now, we're pretty pleased.  I ran tomatoes through the food strainer one day, then the next morning, put them on to simmer for tomato sauce, giving me another three pints for the pantry.  This makes it a lot easier than trying to do it all in one day, and I plan to continue doing it this way any time I'm able.  I filled the dehydrator with halved figs, which filled a half gallon jar.  



Knowing it won't be long before we integrate the chicks in with the rest of the flock, we began letting them into their large yard last week, so they can all see each other across the fence now.  It's supposed to help with an easier transition.  There was a virtual GC I had redeemed via Swagbucks some months ago, which was good until some time in '27, but when I tried to use it, I got a message it was expired.  I first initiated a conversation with Swagbucks, who told me to contact the card issuer.  Though I dread these types of phone calls, they actually made it reasonably easy, and I received a new card last week.  I immediately loaded it on my Amazon account, and it worked fine.  I had loaded other GC's on Amazon recently, anticipating Christmas lists I'd be receiving.  A decision was made to scale back for Christmas this year, and I will only be celebrating with my sister, instead of both siblings and their families.  I do understand, as families continue to grow.  Life always brings changes, doesn't it?

  

sunrise on the inland waterway


On Thursday, I drove to the NC coast, to meet an old friend.  We had the nicest time catching up.  We ate out twice, and all was delicious, including the leftovers.  I had scoped it out beforehand, and found spots where there were items I could eat.  My friend suggested a spot I hadn't found, and it turned out to be wonderful.  We did a little thrifting, and I found two pairs of workpants for J, a canister for my shop, and a half price tank top.  The last evening, we just stayed in and hung out.  It's such a precious thing to have one on one time with dear friends.  Because of my time away, I didn't get a skoolie post up this week, but plan to get one up this Friday.  Wishing you a wonderful week.


7 comments:

daisy g said...

Glad you found a plan that works for you and is affordable! Those things can be so confusing.

Sounds like a great getaway! No doubt you came back rested and relaxed.

Have a fabulous week!

Laurie said...

There are so many choices, it is totally confusing! I'm glad J helped me navigate it. I hope you're also getting rain and cooler temps this week.

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Happy to hear you were able to getaway to catch-up with a friend. And good food and deals to boot!

Oh, medicare. My husband will be eligible in 5 years, so we had started looking into it only to discover that we will both be covered through the military because of his retirement. We had no idea! Happy you found something that will work well for you. It seems like it could be quite overwhelming to research.

Happy you didn't lose your figs to critters!

Wishing you a wonderful week!

Mrs. Mac said...

Sounds like you had an ideal week! I jumped on the Medicare bandwagon this year, too. Enjoy this end of summer season.

Laurie said...

Joseph has got military coverage, and will stay with that when he turns 65. It really is rather overwhelming to navigate Medicare. It is pretty surprising the critters have left the figs alone!

It was a lovely week. Thank you, Mrs. Mac!

Jeannie said...

I discovered wrestling with choosing Medicare coverage is a rite of passage. My group of friends, of which I am the youngest, gave me a "welcome to Medicare care package." It contained: Preparation H, Fixodent, prune juice, adult diapers, a magnifying reading glass, and many other items that I am sadly using. It was hilarious.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry
PS: Welcome to Medicare (sigh).

Laurie said...

You've got funny friends!