Monday, August 21, 2023

Morning Glories & Bumblebees


Hello, friends.  Last week while getting groceries, I found dogfood on sale for $6 off, and blueberries for my smoothies for $1 off per package.  Two books were requested from the library.  Swagbucks points were redeemed for a $25 gift card.  I opened a jar of our eggplant caponata, so we could enjoy it with dinner on one of the hottest days.  Mini ciabattas were heated for J to have with it, and I used tasty GF crackers.  We're eating sliced cucumbers and tomatoes most meals.  Cucumbers, tomatoes, elderberries, the first tromboncino, figs and zucchini were harvested.  I've seen our first few honeydew melons and butternut squash in the garden, and on Sunday, saw the first little kajari melon.  Bags of frozen tomatoes, along with newly harvested ones, were cooked down into tomato sauce, and canned.  I'm always surprised by how little it produces, once cooked down.  Close to 4 gallons of tomatoes made three pints.  Oh well, I'm still quite thankful for it.  Two pints of tomato juice were also canned.  



I removed several tomato plants that were dead or dying from the garden, then replanted with new seedlings, which I've kept going since the spring.  We expect they're too small to produce, but it's worth a try.   J and I were discussing our decision to have a smaller, simpler garden this year.  Our main goal this year is to grow enough tomatoes to put up plenty of sauce and canned tomatoes.  The tomatoes have had so many challenges this year... a large variety of worms/caterpillars, aphids, and some sort of blight.  With having a simpler garden, I've been able to spend around 1 1/2 hours almost every morning tending to them; cutting away yellowed  and chewed leaves, cutting stems to open up good airflow, and looking for the aforementioned worms.  There's no guarantee we'll end up with all we hope to preserve, but during a normal year, there's no way I'd have that kind of time to devote to them.  Perhaps it was intuition that spurred us to make changes for this year.  All the bees in this butternut blossom made me smile one morning in the garden.  



A new batch of golden paste was made for the pups.  Tomato skins and bits were dehydrated, along with elderberries.  The tomato skins were turned into powder, to add to dishes, and the bits will be used in bird suet.  The last of an older batch of nettle & comfrey tea was used to fertilize all the houseplants, rosella, dwarf pomegranate, zinnias and nasturtiums.  As I suspected, every last hazelnut has been removed by the squirrels.  Sigh.  A quart of food was made for the hummingbirds.  A basil seedling that had gotten broken when the others were planted, was finally large enough again to plant in the garden. On Saturday, we headed to a family reunion in Eastern NC.  I brought apple beet salad & cranberry quinoa kale salad to share, and brought water and snacks for the drive.  On Sunday, I made stir fry for dinner, which included our cabbage, pepper, and garlic.  The cabbage was one of the offshoots from one that was harvested weeks ago.  I'm very much looking forward to a trip to the coast to visit an old friend this week.  I hope your week is a good one as well.  


9 comments:

daisy g said...

Sounds like we are thinking along the same lines with downsizing the garden. A couple of kajaris were found on the vine, so I'm hoping I'll get something. Keep me posted on yours.

Glad you had an outing and the salads you brought sound lovely. Hubbs and I have been sick for almost a week, so we haven't been anywhere! Not sure if it's COVID, but I know there is an uptick in infections recently.

Enjoy your coastal trip. Safe travels, my friend.

Laurie said...

I'm so sorry to hear you've been sick. Not sure what our garden will be like moving forward, but we still had plenty of beans/peas of all sorts, pickles and more in storage. I'm thankful to have a slower pace this year. Take good care of yourself. Sending wishes you'll soon be feeling back in good health.

April said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your bees (Bees! Not just one bee!) in the butternut blossom. That made me smile big time!

Laurie said...

Happy you got a smile out of them too!

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

It really is amazing how much tomatoes cook down. Good for you for simplifying the garden this year. It's just so difficult to keep up with it all and care for all of the plants as needed when it's too big.

Isn't tomato powder delicious? I like bell pepper powder too. They both add so much flavor! I'm assuming you pressure can your eggplant caponata? I've been making a list of items I would like to try with a pressure canner. It looks like I'm going to start looking for one. It just makes sense! Just having home cooked beans ready to go makes it worth it, let alone everything else.

Wishing you a wonderful time with your friend!

Laurie said...

I've never tried bell pepper powder. If I ever get any this year, I may try that. Yep, the caponata is pressure canned. Home cooked beans are definitely a plus!

Jeannie said...

I chop my bell peppers and dehydrate them to use all winter long in everything. This year, I am growing a paprika pepper. I have been roasting them in the air fryer then running them under cold water to remove the outer skin, then dehydrating them to be ground into paprika powder.

Yesterday we went to the Amish auction and I went wild. I bought 220 pounds of tomatoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really did. My husband almost had a heart attack when we started loading them in the car. They were selling between $10 to $7 for a 20-pound box. The price kept dropping and I kept bidding. I also got a box of 25 broccoli heads for $1.10 each. They looked like they had been harvested that very morning. We got 20 dozen fresh eggs right from the coop. It was late in the day and the Amish father sent the kids to hen house to hunt for more when I said I would buy all he had. They were $2.50 to $3.00 each but Bill loves them and they help his health. I will be freezing some of them.

I talked to one of the Amish ladies who I have always bought from and she said produce isn't selling and couldn't figure out why. I told her it was because people don't have the money. I think everyone is buying as little as possible.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

Wow, that's a lot of tomatoes, but you should be set for a while! And broccoli... one of my favorites! We planted some a few weeks ago, but I found them inundated with some kind of insect (red, black & white) this morning. Will need to research. Joseph also loves his eggs. He eats three in a sandwich, and five in a scramble. I'll be interested to read which method you use to preserve them.

Jeannie said...

I have been sorting through them and they are less ripe than I thought. The ones on the bottom of the boxes were greener. It isn't a complaint because it gives me more time to handle them.
Mostly, they will be canned in quart jars for us to eat on salads during the winter. The ones that develop bad spots will be dehydrated since I don't trust canning them. I had some go bad one year and have been careful since then. I want a large amount of powdered tomatoes because I want to learn how to make instant ketchup and spaghetti sauce.
Also, I dearly love tomato compote. They are roasted in the oven at a low temp while covered in salt, herbs, and olive oil. When I make a batch, I stand at the stove and eat it until it is gone. Maybe this time I can make enough to figure out how to store it long-term.
So many tomatoes - so many decisions!
Jeannie