Monday, August 19, 2024

A Small Harvest & A Canning Fail


Hello, friends.  Last week, I foraged chanterelles and lamb's quarter.  Though the chanterelles were small, I was able to gather some most days, and dried them.  Chard, tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers, apples, pawpaws, figs and pears were harvested.  There's one apple tree that the squirrels have mostly left alone, and now something else is chewing holes in many of them.  It always seems to be something!  I've been chopping up many of these for the pups.



Pineapples were on sale for $1.79 ea.  I bought two, and tried canning it for the first time, as I've read it tastes much closer to fresh than store bought.  J picked up organic fresh pressed pineapple juice, to use as the liquid, which should be yummy.  However, it didn't go exactly as planned.  Knowing pineapple can react with metal, I thought it would be the perfect time to use Tattler lids.  I had not used them yet this year, and somehow got on auto pilot, instead of using the specific procedure needed with these lids.  I realized it, when none sealed.  I recanned it the next day, and only two sealed, after using the correct procedure.  It may have something to do with the fact that I used the steam canner, which requires that you wait five minutes to lift the lid after processing, before I could do their final tightening.  For the third try, with the remaining four jars, three sealed with metal lids, and we'll use the other jar in a fruit salad.  So much for fresher tasting.  Ah well, that's why I like to try new things, and learn.  



It's a skimpy garden year, but I'm thankful for what's trickling in.  My sister had taken the week off as vacation, but due to a family issue, ended up staying at home.  We took advantage of her time off, and had a thrifting day.  I found a canister to turn into a compost crock, a large glass garden cloche, a few kitchen items and frame for the bus, and work clothes for J.  I realized I didn't have any appropriate summer dresses for a funeral, and found one, to have on hand when the need arises.  Our eggplant, tomatoes, onions, garlic and basil were used in pasta sauce.  Onions, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and broth were used in a curry.  All the onions were finally braided, and are in storage.  I had a work day at a local pottery on Saturday, and brought some things to work on, between customers, including sewing.  That's been my week.  I hope yours was a good one.  


10 comments:

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

I love chanterelles. It's always a great find when you can forage delicious things, isn't it? Bummer about the pineapple. But you're right - the only way to learn is to try. Nice garden harvests too!

daisy g said...

Steady harvests are a wonderful thing! So glad you and your sister had some time together. Have a marvelous week!

Laurie said...

Yes, I love foraging! Life is all an experiment, isn't it?!

Laurie said...

Sister time is surely a blessing. Yes, any harvest is a good thing!

April said...

I love your comment above: yes, life IS an experiment! All of it! From canning pineapples to family dynamics to the "Oops, didn't see THAT coming!"

Laurie said...

That is so true! It's quite the adventure!

Jeannie said...

Tattler lids have been a sad disappointment. Especially after I spent hundreds of dollars to buy them. It is a good idea but a poor design. I have switched to using the rubber rings on the regular metal lids and have had good success. I still use the Tattlers when I can something like soup, beans or meat fully expecting at least one jar to not seal. The unsealed jar will become dinner. When Tattler lids seal, they are sealed. Rarely have I had them unseal after a day or two. I check my jars closely for a few days before anything goes downstairs to the pantry.

Helpful hints: check the rubber ring closely. They stretch after use and won't seal if they are too big. Put them on the underside of a metal band and make sure they are still small. Compare the fit to a new one. Hold the lid down hard with your thumb as you screw on the band to make sure the rubber ring doesn't slide or twist out of place.

Harvest Guard sells one time use rubber rings for $.15 each. I put them with metal lids and have used them more than once. I don't use the rubber bands on things that can't be canned a second time like mushrooms.

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

It hasn't seemed like I've had more issues with Tattlers, but I guess I don't use them all that often. I stopped using them with pressure canning, when I had some beans spew all over the kitchen after I pulled them out.

Good hints on the rubber rings. I'll be sure to check that. I've heard good things about Harvest Guard lids, and need to check them out too.

I'm curious about what you mean by canning a second time. Are you saying if the mushrooms don't seal the first time, you can't try a second time? Are there other foods like this, and why is that? Always learning new things!

Jeannie said...

There are some things that aren't supposed to be canned a second time if they don't seal because they become mush. It doesn't destroy the nutrition, just the texture. I don't second can: mushrooms, bell peppers, or squash. If you don't mind the mush it would be fine to use squash for smoothies or muffins. I label my jars when I second can so as to not be surprised. Often anything second canned is poured into soup last thing before serving. Nothing is ever wasted.

Laurie said...

OK, that makes sense. Glad to know it's not unsafe, just aesthetics.