Monday, July 29, 2024

Preserving The Harvest



Hello, friends.  I hope you've been doing well.  Last week,  Amazon digital credit was used, to enjoy two movies.  I harvested eggplant, lima beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, oregano, pawpaws and apples.  Books were requested from the library.  Paper and cardboard were shredded, and a full bin was added to the compost.  Produce scraps went into the dog or chicken meals, the broth bag, or compost.  Homemade soap and deodorant were used.  Cabbage was canned on two of the cooler days, which took care of most of what I'd harvested.  

 


At my last massage appointment, my therapist told me about her new herb garden.  She was very excited when I asked if she'd like me to bring her spearmint, chocolate mint and lemon balm.  I dug some, and potted them up.  She'll get herbs for her garden, and I'll save myself the cost of the tip.  I always check with her first, to see if she's interested in whatever I have to share that visit, such as soap, and garden produce.  It works out well for both of us. 



I've been spending lots of time on the tomatoes, each morning in the garden.  We've had more than the usual amount this year lost to rot and chew holes.  The vast majority were tomatoes on or close to the ground, which is mulched with straw, and pill bugs were often the culprit.  When possible, I raised the tomatoes and draped them over the lowest rung of the cage, and trimmed away lots and lots of leaves.  I'm hoping this will help, as we love our tomatoes, and have high hopes of preserving some of the harvest.  


8 comments:

Andrea said...

Beautiful cabbage. That is neat how you tipped. I remember the day when people tipped with their garden produce....even to a family dr. I was at the doctor's once when a man didn't tip, but paid his bill with a bag of potatoes!
Hope you have better luck soon with your tomatoes. andrea

daisy g said...

I just love how thrifty you are in your day-to-day.
We've been watching a lot of movies lately, as the rain has been blessing us.
Yesterday we watched "Otto" with Tom Hanks. I can't even think of a movie he's made that we didn't enjoy. What an American treasure.
Enjoy some tomatoes for me! I can't eat them anymore, but I'm glad you can!

Laurie said...

I used to hear stories of my ex's grandfather, a doctor, receiving chickens and such for payment. Love the potato story!

Laurie said...

Ah, I watched Otto not long ago. I love Tom Hanks too! A treasure indeed. So thankful for the blessing of rain.

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Oh gosh, sorry to read about your tomatoes. I'm hoping you will receive enough for preserving. I love the massage therapist story. We do a lot of bartering with other farmers market vendors, and our veterinarian at times too. I wish it would become more popular again. Wishing you a wonderful week and hoping you've received rain!

Laurie said...

Yes, when I was doing regular shows, it was fairly common to barter with other vendors. Very cool to barter with your vet! We have been getting rain, an inch and a quarter yesterday, so everything is happy once again. Have a beautiful week!

Jeannie said...

I "tipped" my neighbor last night also, never thought of it that way. A new UPS driver once AGAIN left our packages at their house. My three sons who all live in apartments send their many packages to us since we are safely off the road. I grabbed some garden tomatoes and peppers and ran over to his house. He was surprised and grateful for them and I didn't have to can them. It was a win, win.

While talking about delivered packages, cancelling Amazon Prime has worked out fine for all of us. My guys have gotten accustomed to waiting more than one day for their packages to arrive. "Welcome to snail mail", I chuckled. "We old folks are used to it." They still complain but aren't willing to pay the annual fee.

Your cabbages look awesome. I bet the flavor is delicious. Good job growing them.

I wonder what is wrong with your tomatoes? You can't lose your tomatoes!!! Oh no! The loads of manure we put on our garden was packed full of pill bugs. Sometimes when you stuck a shovel in it looked like the pile was moving from all the pill bugs running away. They were awful. They disappeared in the drought. When they were at their worst, I had to put diatomaceous earth out around seedlings.

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

That was very nice of you, to share garden produce with your neighbor. Joseph gets lots of things for the jobs he works on in his business from Amazon, so I benefit from our Prime membership. I've gotten spoiled, though I'm not sure I'd pay for it on my own.

Joseph did a wonderful job growing cabbage this year. We're not sure what's going on with the tomatoes. It was so dry for a long time, maybe all the insects and birds were looking for moisture, and then they'd rot around the holes. I'm still finding at least one pretty much every day, and they always seem to be the huge ones, like Brandywine or Cherokee Purple. Maybe the varieties have something to do with it. I've got enough tomatoes today, that I just said I needed to can some this weekend, so thankful for that. Pill bugs are a huge problem here!