Monday, July 22, 2024

Garden This & That



Hello, friends.  Last week, I harvested cucumbers, eggplant, beets, pawpaws, apples, lima beans, yellow squash and tomatoes.  A cabbage, onions and garlic were dropped off for a friend, and she shared a bag of tomatoes, which were much appreciated.  As I'm typing this, we've gotten just a few cherry tomatoes from our garden, a couple small ones, and a larger one that ripened because something chewed on it.  But more are beginning to ripen every day.  I made the first tomato sandwich of the year, with one of the gifted tomatoes.  So good!  Later in the week, I did harvest a few more tomatoes.  I harvested just enough kale to make a salad, which hit the spot.  The eggplant was retied to stakes, as they had grown.  



The latest round of green beans are coming up nicely.  Something has eaten all the new cucumbers off, so I've started another round in pots, along with two types of lettuce, chard, and cilantro (thanks, Daisy).  More zinnia seeds were planted.  Mulch was added to plants in the garden, and a flower bed was weeded.  Pawpaw pulp was frozen in muffin tins, and popped out, to use in smoothies.  Our cabbage was used in colcannon.  The small apple "drops" were made into fried apples for J.  Hummingbird food was made.  The wintersown hollyhocks had finally grown enough, and the ground was finally damp, with more rain expected, so they're now in the ground.  I'm pretty sure that was a record here, for wintersown plants.  



Same as last year, the squirrels have eaten all the hazelnuts, long before they were ripe, betrayed by all the shell pieces on the ground beneath it.   Grrrr.  We were able to enjoy some social things over the weekend.  One of the potter's sons, who recently finished his music degree, was playing classical guitar at our little, local wine bar, and we were able to attend that.  My sister and her husband rented a house at a nearby lake, and invited us Sunday.  I've always felt a boat ride makes all right with the world.  It's one of the quintessential pleasures of summer, in my book.  May you find pleasures of the season this week.  


8 comments:

April said...

Your comment about feeling that a boat ride "makes all right in the world" made me smile. That is exactly why I sit out on our deck every evening as the dusk deepens: the birds heading to their nests, the fireflies blinking off and in, and, because we deep into summer, the katydids carrying on their chorus. I can shed the day and appreciate that, indeed, all is right.

Laurie said...

I love that, April! It sounds magical.

daisy g said...

So many goodies from the garden! Oh, I do miss tomatoes. The first tomato sandwich of the season was always a thrill. Enjoy some for me.

A day at the lake sounds like bliss. So glad you were able to take some time to slow down.

May your week be filled with beautiful things.

Laurie said...

Tomatoes would be a hard one to give up, for sure. I hope down the road, we'll both have lots more flexibility in what we can eat, while still staying healthy.

I decided to start another cleanse today, as the last one moved the needle a little. I read of someone over the weekend who intends to do this same cleanse back to back for seven months! I can't imagine going that long with no cooked food, but she had just gotten out of the hospital, and sounds determined. Wishing you a beautiful week as well.

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

So much goodness harvested! Hoping your tomatoes will be plentiful soon. Oh, those squirrels. Ours were able to strip our blueberry bushes so we received only a couple of handfuls of berries. We'll have to cover them with netting next year.

It sounds like you were able to get out and enjoy the summer days. What a lovely sentiment about the boat ride. Wishing you a wonderful and peaceful week.

Laurie said...

Oh man, sorry about your blueberries. Those squirrels surely are a challenge. Many wishes for a lovely week to you.

Jeannie said...

You have kale? Cabbage moths have always gotten mine. Wait. I do have one that volunteered and is a few inches tall under a squash plant. You gave me the idea to let it grow and see how I like the flavor. That's why I always like reading your blog - it is full of new things for me to try.

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

I left the winter kale in the garden for seed (which I think I sadly missed), and some of it had tender new growth, plus there has been some that reseeded. Not a lot right now, but enough for a meal. I was thinking this morning I needed to gather another round.