Monday, July 1, 2024

Late June Days


Hello, friends.  Last week,  I harvested figs, cucumbers, blueberries, eggplant, green beans, zucchini and yellow squash.  I also harvested the majority of the volunteer potatoes in bags.  I left a few plants that still looked good and green, as a similar couple I pulled up didn't have much on them.  So far, we've harvested ~82 lbs. altogether, which is great, as we eat a lot of potatoes.  I harvested cabbage, and shared one with J's business partner.  Cucumbers were prepared a couple of ways for J, and I used them in some of my cleanse meals.  I made J a potato and green bean salad my Mom used to make, with our veggies, and cabbage and onions.  The pups had baths in the outdoor shower, then ran around like crazy boys for a bit, because it made them feel so good.  



I picked up parts for J's business twice during the week, and made good use of being in town, by grocery shopping, banking, and picking up a book and movie at the library, though  I ended up stopping the movie, as it was too dark for my taste.  Japanese beetles were hand picked and fed to the chickens several times, and squash bugs were squashed most every day.  I weeded rows of tomatoes, and the asian cucumbers, and mulched them.  J placed stakes at the eggplant.  I secured the plants with twine, and mulched them.  Blueberries were frozen.  Once it was dry under the bathroom sink, I did a good clean and declutter, getting rid of some things we won't use.  Some were thrown away, and some will be donated.  There were several used plumbing parts that J won't use, which was put in with our metal, to go to the salvage yard.



As I'm working on this post Sunday, we are surprisingly still running on rainwater.  J did switch over to well water on Saturday, long enough for me to do laundry loads of his uniforms and dark clothes, and run the dishwasher, then switched back to rainwater.  It was so hot and dry, the laundry dried on the line quickly.  We haven't had more than a few drops of rain, but are praying we have some good showers tonight (Sunday).  Besides our gardens, the farmers in this state are really hurting from lack of rain.  Hummingbird food and golden paste for the pups were made.  I pulled two hornworms off the tomatoes, one tiny and the other fat and sassy.  Please look aside at my dirty gardeners hands.  Wishing everyone in the States a wonderful 4th!



8 comments:

Andrea said...

Hi! Hope you did get rain last night (we did, so nice!) Your garden produce is so nice. I know how fresh it must be too. I've been picking japanese beetles too. Not too many this year, so far. Usually it gets pretty bad. Your yard (w/your dogs) looks beautiful. andrea

Laurie said...

The rain missed us again, except for a sprinkle. The Japanese beetles are less here too, and I've wondered if somehow the cicadas messed up their cycle, being they both spend their larval stage in the ground. Whatever the reason, I'm thankful. I appreciate your stopping by, and your comments.

daisy g said...

You are enjoying so many fresh meals from the garden. I hope your cleanse is going well.
Looks like McNibbs is feeling more himself.

I’m sorry the rain missed you. I agree the Japanese beetles are less in number. I was thinking it was because I think we have moles. The chooks enjoy however many I am able to capture.

Oooh, I’ll bet your girls loved those hornworms too!

May you be gifted with a good rainstorm this week!

Laurie said...

Isn't it one of life's pleasures to eat food, fresh from the garden? McNibs is doing well, especially for a 13 year old dog.

It was disheartening, when the rain went around us. We'll keep hoping. Let's hope the Japanese beetle population stays low. Even though the girls love them, I'd rather not have to collect them, lol. There are very few that are brave enough to tackle the hornworms, but they are pretty happy when they do.

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Your harvest makes my mouth water. Our big joy was harvesting a handful of cherry tomatoes. I think this is the earliest this has ever happened for us! Sooooo good.

Such a sweet photo of the pups! It looks like you have some nice, shaded spots on your property?

I'm sorry to read you didn't receive any rain. I'll keep hoping you are blessed with an abundance soon. Wishing you a wonderful week!

Laurie said...

So excited for the first cherry tomatoes! Yes, this land was all woods, and we've carved out spots for the homestead, so there's lots of shade in places.

It's looking hopeful we'll get some rain, late in the week. Fingers crossed.

April said...

Look at those potatoes! A splat of color in a basket! (And the hornworm, pest that it is, sure poses nicely!)

Laurie said...

Mmmm, we ate some of those potatoes tonight!