Monday, May 3, 2021

Visit From a Heron


Hello, friends.  Last week, I met a friend and walked on a beautiful trail at the zoo, which is free to hike on, and saw the sweetest tiny turtle.  I then ran errands, which included dropping books off at the library, picking up our new modem, stopping for groceries, and going by the discount grocery.  I finally made it when the discount grocery was open, and got multiple cans of organic beans for .35 to .60, organic tomato sauce for .60, gluten free pasta for .75 and organic soups for .40, plus a few other odds and ends.  If I don't have good leftovers or anything frozen, I occasionally start a soup with one of these, then add to it.  There was also one tin of golden syrup, which I've seen in some recipes, for .99, significantly less than online.




I needed to make yogurt, with only a small amount of fresh milk, so I defrosted a pint I had frozen, used the last of a container of cream, and added a small amount of half and half to make a quart.  A real mix of dairy, but at least there was no waste, and the pups don't seem to mind a bit.  J let me know he saw a heron land on our dock, a great blue heron.  It was on the dam when I got out there, hunting for frogs I expect.   I'm harvesting asparagus just about every day.  Eggs were shared with a friend, as a thank you for making a delivery to me.  Some of the supplements I'm currently taking are glycerites, which means they're preserved in glycerine rather than alcohol.  I purchased a quart of glycerine, and started two jars of glycerite, as all the medicine I've made so far have been alcohol tinctures.   It should save me money, making my own.   My sister and I had a brief getaway this weekend, which I may write about in a separate post.  Be well, and have a beautiful week.


4 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

It's always amazing to catch a glimpse of a Great Blue Heron. I haven't seen one in years. Your flowers look beautiful. I am sure you are enjoying this amazing weather, despite the pollen.
Do you still go to the discount grocery next to Something Different? I haven't been in a couple of years. I recently found out about 1/2 Price Groceries & Things in Asheboro. I may have to check it out.

Laurie said...

Unless it's reopened, the store next to Something Different is no longer. 1/2 Price Groceries unfortunately is now 95+% stuff, with only the tiniest section of groceries, and most of that is large quantities of one thing. There's very little, and little variety, so I stopped going. The one I'm going to is on Hwy 311, called Scratch & Dent. They have a fb page. It's a bit of a hike, but I go when I'll be in Asheboro, especially the north end. Then it's not too bad, but it's why I like to be sure she's going to be there when I go.

daisy g said...

What a beautiful bird! We often had Sand Hill Cranes in our backyard in Florida. They were fascinating to watch. We miss them.

You got some serious bargains! No doubt they will create some scrumptious meals.

I hope you'll share your getaway. It does us good to take some time away from the day-to-day.

Laurie said...

Indeed it does do good to get away. I'm very happy with the latest discount grocery bargains. I bet you do miss those lovely birds.