Monday, May 17, 2021

New Recipes & Staying Cool

 



Hello, friends.  A potter friend recently made this tile for me.  Isn't it lovely?  Her address tiles are popular, and each one is unique, based on your interests.  Last week was unseasonably cold, with some nights in the low 40's.  The woodstove was fired up again, the latest we ever remember.  I took advantage of it one of the days, and simmered a gallon of vegi scraps on the woodstove for broth, then froze it as cubes, to use in various recipes.  We hope we're done needing the woodstove for good this season.  Soon I'll start working on getting the houseplants out to their summer quarters.  Homegrown aloe was used in smoothies.  I harvested asparagus, onions, peas, a little spinach and lettuce.  Eggs were gathered, and yogurt was made.




I thought I would share that the eczema protocol I'm doing is from Medical Medium.  If you've not heard of him, he's gotten great acclaim for helping tens of thousands of people.  His recommendations are unconventional, but apparently they work, based on the dozens of stories and before and after photos I've seen people share on his IG page.  Many sharers had been seen by multiple conventional physicians for numerous challenges, without getting any better, and came to him as a last resort, with excellent results.  I made another batch of his Anzac cookies, which I think are yummy.  It's been quite interesting learning a new way of eating.




After a soap delivery, I went by Hallmark, and used a $5 reward and a free card coupon.  I then headed to Harris Teeter, and got mad at myself when I got home, as they had overcharged me $10 on a tin of olive oil, by not giving me the sale price.  I only go by there once a month, after an appointment, but believe I'll have to see customer service next month about it.  The cashier did ring up my organic oranges as conventional, which made up some of the difference.  I received a gifted aloe plant, when I made the soap delivery.  The garden is growing well.  Last week, J hilled the potatoes, planted eggplant from the cold frame, replanted cucumber seeds in spots, cut garlic scapes, and more.  The garden is looking better than ever.  I really ought to take a pic to share.  





After painting orders, I replanted a flower bed that had only one seed germinate. This time, old-fashioned flower mix, a cut flower mix and borage seeds were planted.  J tilled the bed for me.  I'm hoping to have higher germination with a better prepared bed.  Stinging nettles were harvested, and a glycerite was started.  Laundry was hung on the line.  For dinner, I sauteed spinach, and tried a recipe for blackened roasted cauliflower steaks.  J didn't love it.  I may make it again with less or no cayenne,  which was in the blackened spice mix.  In it, I was able to use our oregano, thyme, and garlic powder.  Looks like we're jumping from cool to hot, with temps 90 and above in the forecast.  The a/c unit J ordered in October still hasn't arrived, with the ship date constantly moved back.  He'll try to make our old one limp along until the new one hopefully arrives.  Right now, they're saying early June, though we're not counting on it.  Stay comfortably cool or warm, wherever you are.  


8 comments:

Tracey said...

Do they have customer loyalty cards? If so. call corporate customer service and they will put the $ on your loyalty card and you can spend next visit. I live 17 miles from Kroger and they’ve done that for me several times as I have horrible habit of not looking at receipt until I get home.

Tracey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tracey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laurie said...

That's a good idea, Tracey. I do have one of their cards. I'm not sure if they can credit me on it, but it's worth asking. Thank you!

daisy g said...

Sounds like you’re getting lots of goodies from the garden with plenty more to come.

Glad you have found some relief for your skin issues.

Yes, I’m not ready for blazing temperatures.

Have a fabulous week!

Laurie said...

We'll have to think cool thoughts! There's a bit of this and that. Looking forward to tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes and more!

Jeannie said...

Thank you for the link to the cookies. I looked around on the blog and found it very interesting. I always learn something new from you.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

I learn lots from you as well, Jeannie. I really like these cookies, and hope you do too.