Thursday, March 17, 2011

Green Cleaning with Baking Soda




I've mentioned before how challenging our water is here, with it's extreme hardness. Added to that, we drink tea regularly, as well as some coffee, which quickly adds up to some very ugly cups. A couple of weeks ago, I read about a tip I've probably read before, but this time I tried it. I was fairly well amazed at the results. All you do is make a paste of baking soda and water, use a damp, not wet, sponge on a dry cup and wipe the stains away. Am I the only one who hasn't done this?
The cup on top looks as though it had a light scrubbing at some point, but was fresh out of the dishwasher when the picture was taken. I'm embarrassed twofold, first at the state of my cup prior to this most wonderful tip, and second because I've forgotten where I found the tip, so can't give them credit. In any case, try this if you haven't. Your cups will thank you.
Wishing you the happiest of St. Patrick's Days!

4 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

great trick!
We found you can clean them by placing them back in the kiln!
You are up early too!

Stephanie Ann said...

Thanks for sharing. I have heard ice and salt but we don't drink coffee and only have tea rarely.

Michèle Hastings said...

the baking soda trick is great for cleaning the glass on electric stove tops... does a better job than any commercial product.

Laurie said...

So M, guess the kiln burns it off? I'll have to try the stove trick, Michele. Thanks!