Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fresh Food



I don't know about everyone else, but right about now every winter, I'm craving some good, fresh food. I used to buy broccoli slaw & compost my broccoli stems, then decided that was pretty silly, so have been making my own. Last night, I grated a couple of small carrots-- one yellow, one orange, 3 peeled broccoli stems, and 2 small sunchokes. For the dressing, I used 1 tbs mayonnaise, 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, and 2 tsp agave nectar. It turned out pretty good, and colorful, and made just enough for 2 people. It's pretty flexible. Use what you like & have on hand. I can see kohlrabi, apple, red or green cabbage working well. Any natural sweetener will work, though I'd start out with 1 tsp honey or sugar, or 5 drops of stevia, and adjust to taste. Be creative. The more colors the merrier, giving you a broader range of nutrients.


I saw a post I could relate to this week. One of the things Christina said was that handmade goods have a certain quality that mass-produced goods don't. I think I've always felt this way. Never been one for "unecessary plastic objects", as Nanci Griffith so aptly says. It may be one of the reasons I settled in this area, around so many who make their living fashioning things out of the earth. There's a soul to things that someone has created with their heart and hands. It feels good to have those things in my home, and to support those who make their living creating them.


1 comment:

A Friend Across the Miles said...

Going to try that slaw! Sounds really good...

And handmade=heart-felt...

Happy Weekend to you, my friend!

~~Camie~~