Monday, September 2, 2024

Things Don't Always Go According To Plan



Hello, friends.  Happy September!  Last week, I harvested tomatoes, eggplant, lambs quarter, figs, the last of the cabbage, pawpaws, basil, chard, apples and pears.  Pawpaws were shared with a neighbor, and more pulp was frozen.  Another day, pawpaws and a large grocery bag of basil were shared with my massage therapist.  She was so excited to receive them, she posted a photo on her IG account.  A new eggplant curry recipe was tried, but it didn't make the cut.  Basil was turned into pesto, and frozen.  The GFI outlet in the kitchen went bad.  Thankfully, J had one on hand, and replaced it.  During a pottery shop sitting day, I wrapped soap during down time, and prepped lots of paper to wrap future soap, as well as the thank you notes I include in each order.  



Library books were finished early in the week, and I began reading a free Kindle book, until the next round of books was picked up.  A bouquet was gathered for the house.  I took the mattress pad and pillow cover off the bed, and washed them, along with the shower curtain and liner, and dried all laundry on the line.  Lately, pretty much every morning, I find a toad or two under a leaky chicken waterer, when I'm opening up the coop for the day.  They always make me smile.  I finished up a batch of cashew parmesan, when making pesto, and made another double batch.  The switch on my bedside table lamp went bad.  J ordered a new one, and fixed it.  I'm happy to have a handy hubby!  In a few weeks, I'll be doing my first show in many years, at an herbal conference.  I've started cutting out fabric for therapy pillows.  I like to use two coordinating fabrics, a cotton, and a flannel for softness against the body.



As any gardener knows, and Jeannie recently mentioned, things don't always go to plan.  The cucumbers I've babied for months had their first blooms last week, then were mistakenly mowed.  The one remaining tromboncino vine is dying, despite my efforts in squashing bugs.  So, the skimpy cucumbers and 3 or 4 summer squash are all we get from the garden this year.   No tromboncino at all.  It appears we won't get any peppers from the plants I started.  I did find a small butternut squash on a dead vine.  I didn't see any others, but am hoping there are some among the vines.  But, the tomatoes seem to be doing better.  It won't be a stellar year, but I'm hoping I'll be able to put some more quarts on the shelf.  The peas, green beans and lima beans seem to be growing well.  A couple of YouTube accounts I follow have spoken about resting their gardens for a year.  J and I have begun throwing that possibility around, possibly in conjunction with a year in which we'll plan to travel more in our skoolie.  No decisions yet, but we're going to keep the idea in the back of our minds.  I hope you've been having an enjoyable Labor Day holiday weekend.


8 comments:

daisy g said...

Look at that picture of abundance from the garden! Sorry about the disappointment with the squash. It can be discouraging, but every year is different. Maybe next year, you'll have a bumper crop! My cukes were an epic fail this year, but I'll try again next summer.
I hope we will hear more about your upcoming show. So exciting!
Yes, handy hubbs are a blessing. Enjoy your week, friend!

Laurie said...

It's true. I'm very thankful for what we have been getting, despite the fails. Let's hope '25 is a much better cucumber year! Wishing you bountiful blessings this week.

April said...

"Things don't always go according to plan"--you said (wrote) a mouthful, Laurie!

Laurie said...

Ain't that the truth?! There are always blessings, but sometimes you've just got to go with the flow, with all the rest.

Andrea said...

Well there are ups and downs with gardening. I could never be a farmer, I'd get too stressed worrying over the weather. My husband can fix almost everything too. It's saved us lots of money over the years. andrea

Laurie said...

Handy hubby's are the best! I comfort myself that at least we can still buy food elsewhere.

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

I've thought about letting my garden rest too. Since we're using a small space and aren't growing cover crops it makes sense, but every spring I get the itch and then I plant. Your mention of toads reminded me that I haven't seen any this year on our property. Oliver used to love to watch them.

Sorry about your squash and cukes. Last year was a horrible year for cukes for us. This year, thankfully, was the complete opposite. You just never know how it's going to go. Handy husbands are the best indeed!

Laurie said...

I can see how if we made that decision, it would be hard not to plant! I've been gardening here for 29 years now. It would definitely be a different kind of summer. Interesting you noticed the toads. I've been noticing less pollinators recently. It's been an interesting year.