Monday, April 29, 2024

Spring Things




Hello, friends.  The wild atamasco lilies are blooming on this land, which is always a treat.  I'm still enjoying free episodes of Northern Exposure on Prime.  As coincidence would have it, the episode I watched Monday night is one in which Maggie prepares a seder for Joel.  I didn't realize, until after watching it, that Monday evening actually was the beginning of Passover, so the show couldn't have been timed better.  Last week, I harvested lettuce, asparagus, arugula, chard, and basil from seedlings that were already trying to flower.


newly emerged cicada

lots of cicada activity


After an appointment, I went by a favorite thrift store.  This one has four thrift stores on the site, though I rarely go to the two clothes stores.  At the "last chance" store, behind the main store, I bought a 100 year old butter crock for $1.50.  One sold on Etsy for $110.  It was obvious this one had been used as a planter.  I don't think I'll do that, but think it would be nice to hold things, though I'm not sure yet what that might be.  I had a nice conversation with the ladies running the store, and they were happy it was going home with someone who appreciated it.  Golden paste was made for the pups, and food for the hummingbirds was made.  The 17-year cicadas have started emerging here.  We noticed an occasional exoskeleton during the week, then on Saturday, we saw dozens of newly emerged cicadas, along with their exoskeletons.



On the subject of creepy crawlies, our Ameraucana hen has been flying out of the chicken yard the past few weeks.  On the way back to the house one day, I saw that she had gotten a small snake.  I couldn't get close enough to identify it, as she moved away each time I got too close, and was moving quickly in general.  She's a good forager.  On Thursday, my sister and I had a thrift day.  I did find a canister for my shop, but a favorite find was a cashmere poncho bought for $3.50, which sells for $129.  I do love cashmere, and am happy to be able to use it as a layer in my winter wardrobe.  The weather is warming up.  I'm thinking of turning on the water to the outdoor shower, and giving the pups a bath this week.  J tilled spots for sweet potatoes, marigolds and four o'clocks, and planted the flower seeds.  The sweet potato slips should arrive this week.  



Our garden spigot has been leaking for years, making it a mucky mess around the spigot. It was our second frost-free hydrant, so J ended up replacing it with a regular spigot this time, much cheaper and hopefully less problematic.  I helped him make a little deck for the area, a vast improvement.  Our compost bins are there, and the table I seed and pot things up on, so I spend a good bit of time there, under our largest mulberry tree.  I tried a new recipe, for a cashew-based creme fraiche spread.  I'll increase the spices next time, but it wasn't bad as is.  I cleaned out the chicken coop, the first time this spring, which is always the roughest one.  Mint was gathered to place in their nest boxes, and around the coop.  My car was washed and vacuumed.  I've thought for some time that receiving a gift of car detailing would be lovely, as it's not my favorite task, nor J's.  But, now it and the coop are done.  I'm sure both will be more pleasant to be in for a time.  I hope you accomplish whatever tasks you'd like this week!


10 comments:

daisy g said...

I love that you brought home that crock. We actually had a family conversation this weekend about how the milkman used to deliver dairy products to our home. I showed C the butter crock from 60 years ago that I still have and he started researching the dairy. Love those family connections.

Between the crock and the cashmere, you got some great buys! Glad you had time to spend with your sister.

You've alread harvested some basil! Impressive! Mine has not even germinated yet. ;0p

Have a lovely week. The weather looks promising for rain toward week's end.

Laurie said...

Boy, hasn't the world changed since those times?! How wonderful you have that old crock. I cheated on the basil :o). J bought seedlings this year. Though I did plant seeds, I'm not sure they're even up yet. We'd appreciate any rain, as we ran out again, and are on well water. Hope you have a wonderful week!

April said...

Tasks, tasks, tasks! It indeed feels great to knock off some (as I look at my list)! Mine do not include cleaning out a chicken coop, though! (That one made me cheer you on, Laurie!)

Laurie said...

I bet you have an equally daunting task! Thanks for cheering me on.

Jeannie said...

Great buys at the thrift store! We did another online estate auction with my son who lives in Nashville. He has moved out of his bachelor pad and into his own apartment and has nothing. This is his second auction and between the two, he has purchased an apartment full of high end furniture for almost nothing. The furniture needs some cleaning and repairs but he is wanting to learn how to fix the damages. Everything has been solid wood so anything is possible. He still needs more dishes, pots and pans but he is floating on cloud nine. I told him it is like going on a treasure hunt and being willing to polish the gold treasure when you find it.

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

That's awesome you've found high quality items for your son's (Reese?) apartment, and for not much! They definitely don't make stuff like they used to. I've been gathering pots and pans for our skoolie, and have good luck at thrift stores. It is a treasure hunt!

Jeannie said...

It is my oldest son Joshua who has moved. He is the non-frugal one who has NEVER cared about saving money at all. If he wanted it, he bought it without ever looking at the price. I had given up on him. For seven years his four bachelor friends shared a three bedroom (the fourth slept on the living room couch) and the rent was cheap shared between four men. One of the guys bought a house and they all went to different places. Joshua had to move to a one bedroom in Nashville where the cheapest rent he could find is $1,300 per month!!!! It has suddenly thrown him into poverty. He started shopping for household items and was horrified. He told me he didn't think he could ever afford anything nice. After he began listening to me and seeing what was available secondhand, he has awaken to frugality!

It feels so good when your kids finally see you have been right all along.

Jeannie

Laurie said...

How awesome! I'm glad he saw the light, and can only imagine how happy you are.

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Wow - some great deals! They are hard to come by around here anymore. Great shots of the cicadas. Aw yes, the spring cleaning of the vehicles and coop. I put the vehicles off as long as I can stand to. It feels great when it's done but it's not a job that I enjoy.

I can't wait for asparagus! Our first harvest is still a few weeks away. And basil!! Good for you.

Hope all is well!

Laurie said...

Yea, I guess I didn't inherit my Dad's genes for enjoying vehicle maintenance. It seems good deals are harder to find here too, so I'm thankful when I find them. The basil was cheating (bought seedlings), though I do have some very tiny homegrown ones now.