Monday, April 8, 2024

Purple



Hello, friends.  I'm shop sitting for one of the local potteries, several days last week and this week.  Because of that, I didn't make any notes for this post, so I'll see what I can remember.  One day, I canned up garbanzo beans.  I'd really like more on the shelves, as I use them so many ways, so I'll need to pick up more dried beans, for future canning.  In between customers, which were few, I was able to wrap soap, read, and work on other projects.  These concentrated bits of time are always welcome.  I've already got a couple of projects planned for this week's workdays.



The weather has turned fairly cold and windy again.  There were frost warnings a couple of nights, but it looks like we slid by without any damage.  Every day, I shuttle the tomato and pepper seedlings outside and back in.  They're growing stronger in the sun and breezes.  The first batch of hummingbird food was made, and feeders hung.  On Wednesday, I spotted the first one(s) at the feeder.  I've been away during the day since then, but haven't seen any yet today (Sunday), so they may have been the scouts, or I haven't looked at the right time.  Before a rain forecast, I hoed the peas, and mulched more than half of them.  When J got in, we planted our potatoes (finally), and finished mulching the peas.  A few of the potatoes we planted in grow bags last year, which didn't do anything, have sprouted again, I believe six at last count.  We're hoping for a better potato year.



All the wintersown arugula and mache were transplanted into the garden. I found three volunteer parsley, and added them to the bed, though they're not looking especially happy.  Hopefully, they'll recover.  All the wintersown radishes were planted in spots where peas were missing, and the parsley seedlings were transplanted into individual cells.  Three sunflowers were transplanted in various places.  They don't love to be moved, but sometimes do OK.  Asparagus, oregano, and greens for the critters were harvested.  Here's hoping the eclipse is just that, a purely astronomical event.  Stay safe out there.   


6 comments:

daisy g said...

I think you did very well with your recollections!
How lovely that you've had hummers already! I will keep a look out for them. It looks like smooth sailing in the forecast until our last frost date.

I need to get some more potatoes in the ground. They are a staple around here. I can very easily eat a veggie plate several times a month, featuring spuds.

Enjoy this glorious week!

Laurie said...

I'm with you. I love potatoes! We've noticed they've gone up again, and we're not seeing the organic ones for less than $5.99 per 3# bag, so really hoping we have a good potato year.

April said...

We are in the path of totality for just shy of 3 minutes; will be joining next door neighbors for chatting and snacking (of course, I baked!). Yes, we have our eclipse glasses and Warren made two pinhole viewers to boot!

Hummers are still weeks (months) away here. I love that you are seeing some already!

Laurie said...

That sounds like a fun way to experience the eclipse. I expect lots of folks appreciate your baking! Looks like it will be about another half hour before the peak, at about 84% here.

Staci D said...

That's so nice that you're able to help the potter with shop sitting. Happy to hear you didn't receive any frost damage. We've still got another month of possible overnight freezing temps and then I can plant more in the garden. So excited!

Laurie said...

I enjoyed shop sitting last week. It ends up she's sick this week, so won't be going out of town after all. That's OK, I've always got plenty to do at home. I hope your planting time is here before you know it!