Monday, September 4, 2023

Simple Days



Hello, friends.  Last week, we incorporated the chicks in with the flock.  It was a surprisingly easy transition.  Not to say perfect, but pretty smooth as these things go.  I canned tomato sauce twice, and made black bean burgers, using our onions and garlic, red pepper flakes and homemade lemon pepper.  Leftover burgers were frozen for another two meals.  I harvested cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, pawpaws, two pears, and figs.  The pears were on our smallest pear tree, and we hadn't noticed them before, so that was a nice surprise.  I brought a bunch of pawpaws to my massage therapist, and froze several batches of pulp.  We bought seedless watermelons for $3.99 ea. 



A small amount of organizing and decluttering was done in two areas.  Though not a lot, I'm considering every little bit progress.  While checking on the melons, I found a small cantaloupe that was off the vine, so it was brought indoors.  We had it a few days later, just a few bites for each of us.  All the various squash and melons seem to be at a standstill in the garden, as far as growth at the moment.  The coming week calls for temps in the mid-90's, so we'll see what that brings.  Thankfully, it seems we'll cool back into the 80's after that for some time.  All laundry was dried on the line.



This feeder has obviously had a hard season, but I'll scrub it up before storing it for the cold months.  We've noticed organic potatoes have not been available in stores this week.  As that's one of the things I can eat in abundance, it's a bit concerning.  Almost all the potatoes we planted in the grow bags died, so we don't expect there to be much if any potato harvest on the homestead.  Our cabbage and broccoli plants have a new pest, which was ID'd as a harlequin cabbage bug.  Hopefully, we can keep ahead of them.  On Sunday, my sister and her husband met us at a local winery in the evening, then we headed to have dinner, as part of my birthday celebration.  Wishing you a gentle week ahead.  Take care, friends.


4 comments:

daisy g said...

What a wonderful surprise to find melons on the vine! I'm awaiting our kajari melons to ripen.
I'll be growing potatoes this fall with the Ruth Stout method again. I had minimal harvest the last time I grew this way, but this time I will prep the soil a bit better and add more straw on top.
Do you net your cabbages? Even if I plant brassicas from seed, I tent the bed, in order to deter those critters that like to eat them before I do.

Sounds like a lovely evening out. Happy Birthday! Are you a Leo as well?

Be well, my friend.

Laurie said...

While J was mowing the garden the other day, he mowed one of the two biggest kajari melons. Boo. I'm still hoping we'll get to try one though. Last year, we did cover the brassicas we grew in a raised bed, but not the ones in the garden, as we don't have the setup. We really need to buy new covers, as most of them are falling apart at this point. I'm a Virgo, with Leo rising.

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Well that's a bummer about your potatoes. We were blessed with one of our best harvests of them. Too bad I didn't plant more! Happy to hear the flock combining went well. You just never know, do you? And some wonderful produce harvested. Happy belated birthday!

Laurie said...

Caring for chickens is always an adventure!