Friday, June 30, 2023

Hanging Sheet Metal & Procurements

 


This week, Joseph started hanging the sheet metal on the passenger side, with a small amount of assistance from me.



He cut out the hole for the new door, and put up more sheet metal.  We worked at getting a piece around the front corner in place, just before I typed up this post, starting above where you see the ladder, in the original door area.  My camera battery was dying, so I didn't get a photo of that up.  




Scouring Marketplace, he found a store which purchases hotel furniture when they refurbish them, and found some lovely armoires for $25 ea. for the build, which we'll use as storage, likely our closet and pantry.  We plan to adjust the upper molding, so they can stand side by side.  



 

As the armoires were in Burlington, and it's my favorite place to thrift these days, he agreed to check out three of my favorite stores.  He found a vintage headboard and footboard for $20 for our build at one.  We won't use the footboard, and likely not the bedposts, but may incorporate them in another area.



In one of the many videos I've watched of skoolie builds, I saw a woman who had used a pottery bowl for her bathroom sink.  J & I talked about it, and being it needed to be small, we decided it should be an oval bowl to minimize splashing water.  I found this one at the Goodwill for $2.99.  While it's not exactly what I had in mind, being more fun than classy like I envisioned, some of the dots matched the window, and you couldn't beat the price, so we decided to get it.  We've got a drill press, so it should be fairly easy to drill a hole for the drain.  Well, that's what we've gotten accomplished over the past week.




Addendum:  Gosh, I totally forgot to mention our trip to Georgia last weekend, to attend a Tiny House Festival.  When I contacted them, I was told there would be a combination of 50+ skoolies and vans, in addition to the tiny houses.  There ended up being 7, and only two of those were full size buses with livable spaces.  So, another disappointment, with many hours of driving and an Airbnb rental.  But at least at this one, we came away with a few helpful things.  One was the shower idea above.  Most people use tile, but we didn't want to do that, due to the possibility of cracking from all the movement, and cleaning all that grout.  Not my idea of a fun time.  We like the concrete with plant impressions.  We're still deciding what the shower pan will be.  Another plus was a restaurant which had a fabulous vegan and gluten free entree, with asparagus, broccolini, artichoke hearts, potatoes and mushrooms.  Such a treat!  The manager spoke with us, and told me his wife was vegan, so he always made sure there was an vegan entree.  They even had a vegan dessert of three sorbets.  Gosh, it was nice to not have to fashion a meal from so-so side dishes.



6 comments:

Staci D said...

Wow! You both found some great deals!! Love the armoires. And the sink! I LOVE the shape of it. What a bummer about the tiny home festival but happy you found a wonderful restaurant. You're so right - it really IS a treat when you can order an actual meal and not have to put together things to try and make a meal.

daisy g said...

Those armoires are going to add so much storage and what a deal!

That meal sounds wonderful! Yes, I agree about not having to work so hard just to eat is a real treat!

The build is going great! Enjoy the process.

Laurie said...

Thank you both! Good food is such a blessing.

Michèle Hastings said...

You guys are really coming along with the project! Are you going to drive the bus too? The only time I didn't mind driving ours was in the middle of the night when there was no traffic!

Laurie said...

I'm thinking not, but Joseph is thinking yes :o). I guess we'll see!

April said...

LOVE the sink--both the shape/size/design and the "fun" element of it. The armoires are a great idea!